baths??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LuLuBelle, May 1, 2009.

1. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Can you give a chicken a little bath? Like put some water in a sink and put one in there, or do you just not do that??

2. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Thought about doing the same to my stinky little featherfooted babies but I didn't. I don't think it would hurt as long as they stayed really warm, but I could be wrong.

3. LuLuBelle

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Do you have any pics of your feather footed friends??

4. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    I have some of them at a couple weeks old, but not a clue as how to post them on here, LOL.

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I bathe my chickens [​IMG] You can use either poultry shampoo or baby shampoo is what i use on mine. I blow dry them afterwards (takes forever) They might freak out at first but once they feel weightless in the water they usually become putty in your hands so much that i have to make sure i keep a finger under their beaks to prevent them from dunking their heads. I wouldn't bathe them until they are at least a few months old and feathered out good

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    You can give them a warm bath to clear up pasty butt, help with a prolapse, and help with an egg bound hen. If however it's just because you think it would be cute or something, I wouldn't. It would probably be kinda cute, but not advisable and could stress your little one. (Then again the person above seems to be fine with it...so I dunno) If you do HAVE to give the chick a bath for a reason, then be sure you get them under the heat fast or even gently use the blow dryer on low then put them under the heat to fluff them back up quick. Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  7. LuLuBelle

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Thank you [​IMG]

8. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
  9. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    I have two white silkies and they get dirty every now and then, so I give them a quick bath and a blow-dry. They just sit there lol.

This is Charlie having a bath...look at that water!
    [​IMG] (Click for bigger)

And this is Charlie and Sam enjoying the blow-drying lol

Sam's funky hairdo

10. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    My little ladies had dirty bottoms so I washed them, I popped the heating on for 30 minute first so the air was warm, washed them in my bath, dried them of with a dryer and popped them into a dog crate next to the radiator til I could be sure they were completely dry and toasty. I did 2 at a time so they could have a huggle afterwards. I probably went a little over board but Im in soppy idiot when it comes to my girls!

However I agree wuth lil chickie mama and wouldnt do it if it wasnt completely neccessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by