1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bathtime?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken_whisperer, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Chicken_whisperer

Chicken_whisperer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Michigan
    I gave my 5-week-old chicks some yogurt this morning, and they ate it like there was no tomarrow![​IMG]
    But in the process, everyone got sticky, and now their feathers are hard and covered in pine shavings! Is it safe to give them a bath? If so, how do I go about doing it on something so small? (They are bantams chicks)
    I really don't want to / can't just leave them all sticky and messy! Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have given my chicks baths before (the older ones, not the tinies) and they were fine with it. I was just really cautious to avoid getting water around their face so they didn't inhale any of it.

Oh, and afterwards I used a hair dryer on the warm setting to dry their feathers out so they wouldn't catch a chill.

They were surprisingly calm about the bathing and they actually LOVED the drying part. They sat on the edge of the tub and made happy little sounds and let me lift their wings and dry underneath with no fuss at all.

It was a nice bonding experience and the best part was that they smelled so nice and clean and looked shiny afterwards!

3. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Mine just roll around in the dirt. Surprisingly, it gets them clean!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by