bathtub as a pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ben is a terror, May 17, 2011.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I found an old fiberglass tub at our local thrift store for 25.00. Is it to deep for my ducks and geese. I'm putting steps on the outside but what about the inside. I'm putting pavers around the whole thing so it looks likes it sunken but it wouldn't be. It will slightly raised with trap rock for when I drain it. It's slippery on the inside. They will only hold it till tomorrow. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:Yes, A old bathtub is a geat swimming pool. the ducks don't care, although you may have to drain it now and again to replace the water as ducks are super messy creatures. lol
    Hope this helps,
    T.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    When they're tiny it might be too deep, but just for a week or so -- you should always watch tiny babies anyway in the water.

After that, it's great. Find some kind of treats that sink and drop a few of those in the bottom and they'll have a good time dabbling for them. It's what ducks do. I live in an area with hundreds of lakes, and I can go by almost any of them at any time and see duck, goose, and swan butts sticking up in the air as they dabble on the bottom for morsels to eat.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I have one in a flight pen, it is currently draining to be cleaned and refilled tonight. Lve it as it holds a ton of water, and the ducks like to dive in it. Below is a pic before I started landscaping near it. We have some PVC attached the tub drain leading out so I can easily drain it.

[​IMG]

5. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    do they have trouble getting out? it's so slippery.

6. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Just put a paver in and they are fine. The paver can be below the surface, as long as they can use it to hop out.

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    These have full flight so no issues getting in or out. Now my goslings lol they use a ramp to get out when they go in there. I made it from the rubber coated closet shelving. They jump in and walk back out. They get the deep pool once a week and plastic baby pools the rest of the week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by