Bathtub outgrown!!:)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rpeeps, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Rpeeps

Rpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    SE Ga.
    [​IMG]
    Well what was to be only 10 chicks turned into 30! Ummm yes they have outgrown the bathtub in just 2 weeks, only other place I have is the coop, with a heat lamp our days here are crazy, but this week will average 55-65 days and 30-45 nights, I think they will be ok, not running outside at all just shut up... Am I wrong?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My brooder is in the coop. Chicks go in there straight from the incubator or when I pick them up from the post office. At 2 weeks old and as long as you don’t have any adults out there, all you need to do is provide a warm spot without burning the coop down for them to go to when they need to warm up and keep breezes off of them. It doesn’t matter how warm the rest of the coop is as long as they have a warm spot to go to. You don’t want the water to freeze either so put it in the warm end.

The chicks I have in there now were fine when the outside temperatures dropped into the single digits Fahrenheit when they were less than a week old.

3. Rpeeps

Rpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    SE Ga.
    Ty! We will get them transferred today, no adults, I'm nervous about this I lost only 1, and scared of loosing another but poor Lil things I know they need room! I figure I would just put wood chips down for now, and just clean it out everyday till they are able to run outside in the pen...havent raised chickens since I was a kid, my husband Never so its like first time parents! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by