1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bator at 107!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jaguar6, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Jaguar6

Jaguar6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    HELLO,

WILL MY EGGS BE COOKED IF THE BATOR WAS 107?. My husband put up the temp this morning and left for work. They have been in the bator for 2 days.

2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Depends on how long it is before you get that temp down...107 is a deadly temperature and will kill eggs, but if the internal temp didn't have a chance to rise inside the eggs then you can still hold out hope. Get that temp back down ASAP!

3. Jaguar6

Jun 11, 2009
    I don't know how long....He left at 7:00 and temps were fine...I got home home around 11:15 and that is when I saw the temp at 107. OMG this is not turning out to be much fun. I just messed up another 2 dozen that I had put in the bator 3 weeks ago...none survived. Now this....I will candle at 7 days and hope for the best. I spent 100$ in eggs so far and nothing.[​IMG]

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Some of them might survive a few hours. It does take awhile for the inside of an egg to change temperature. You shouldn't have to touch the bator temp after putting eggs in it. If you do then you are pretty much set up to fail. Either you didn't get the temp right before you put eggs in or the room temp is not stable enough for hatching in a small incubator. Trying to change the temp on the bator later will only result in it getting too hot or too cold and killing every batch of eggs.

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Well, from what I have read, it seems like it wouldn't hurt to let them cool down 20 minutes or so till you get that bator temp down. I know a lot of people sometimes have this happen anyway if they are candling a lot of eggs. And if you spent that much on them, I don't know if I would give up at day 7...if they don't look so hot, maybe try them again at day 10 or 14 just to be really sure before you throw them out.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What type of bator do you have.

My less than a year old Hovabator started climbing to 110 without warning...

I had to put in a new fan and thermostat and switching unit... they replaced it for nothing because it had been less than a year.

7. Jaguar6

Jun 11, 2009
    For a few more days I have my still air homemade incubator but I will soon receive my Hovabator with automatic turner. Not sure how the humidity works though in that type of bator. There is no fan on the one I ordered but I think I will either buy a seperate kit or get my hubby to put in a computer fan.

8. Jaguar6

Jun 11, 2009
    By the way the temps went down pretty fast to about 100....I kind of shook a couple of them gently to see if they felt loose inside and not cooked. The larger ones seemed fine but the banties I am not so sure.

9. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    an egg won't get hard like from cooking until they're 150' so I wouldn't rely on that...

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Best way to kill an embryo in the first week... shake it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by