1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bator break-in

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by talleyboy, Aug 5, 2014.

1. talleyboy

talleyboy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Illinois
    Well i built my first incubator and now its time to try it out.

2. talleyboy

Mar 19, 2014
    Illinois
    To start things off this is my basic incubator set up with the materials i had on hand. The box itself is an old bread box i found, I saw it and realized it would be perfect for my first hatch. The shelf i put a 3/4 inch pvc pipe centered on the bottom to turn the eggs.So all i will have to do is bump it one way or the other to tilt the eggs.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I covered the inside with bubble wrap then tin foil. The heating element is just a light bulb ,like all homemade ones I have seen ,and a small fan out of a computer to moving the heat. and everything is on a thermostat.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I have been testing it for a few days and plan on setting eggs by the almanac which will be this Saturday. I'll just be using local eggs.

3. Double Kindness

Double Kindness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    This Saturday as yesterday? Or the Saturday coming up? I have 9 hens and 1 rooster over them, no broody hens, and want to try to hatch some of my eggs. I'd love to see what happens next!!

4. talleyboy

Mar 19, 2014
    Illinois
    Last Saturday, yesterday. But I didn't follow my own instructions see my egg supplier was expecting a new baby any moment, so I decided to go and get the eggs Thursday so I set them that evening. I know I could have waited to set them but I was too excited. And I'm kind of glad I did because she had the baby Saturday morning. :DThe next time the almanac says to set eggs is the 5 th of September. I will try to get some updated pictures asap. Oh and my spring chicken s that I hatched out this year are starting to lay:D.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Very cool...
    Now I have to go figure out the Almanac thing? Wait, I better not, I'll get it right and end up with 101 chickens! (The really scary part, I'd be alright with that)

6. talleyboy

Mar 19, 2014
    Illinois
    Ya the almanac is very interesting I use it a lot for gardening and weaning cattle. But I can't prove that it is true but it's fun to read. Like with chicken s it says those hatch ed under certain moon sign s will grow faster. But I won't know this hatch but maybe next time.

7. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS

If it takes 'two' to speak/believe a truth then I'm in! So it HAS to be true now, right !!! :eek:. I'll throw a temper tantrum, if I have to.
    Now I am off to track down this year's copy and figure out these dates before 2015...

8. talleyboy

Mar 19, 2014
    Illinois
    Well I'll help you out Sept. 4,15 Oct. 3,12 Nov.8. At least those are the dates I have found I might have missed some but that will get you started.

1 person likes this.
  9. Double Kindness

Double Kindness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    I'm very into the biodynamic/lunar cycle thing. It's very accurate I have found. It says this year is very wet, and it has been!!

I plant my seeds, transplant, take cutting, harvest, bake, preserve, press or extract oils according to biodynamic calendar.

So count me in on this choir!!

10. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Interesting... I didn't know about timing for hatching eggs. This Spring was the first year I tried to follow the Almanac's guide for starting and planting seeds... it was an experiment because many things were planted a full month before I normally would. If the slugs had not been so prolific this year it would have g,one better. I had to start many things a few times : )

I will have to think about this for eggs in the future. I am setting some tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by