bator eggs about to hatch & a hen just went broody

serprise

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 21, 2013
I've been hoping I would get a broody for a while now,I finally gave up and just threw some eggs in the bator and setup the indoor brooder. Right now I have 3 pips, none have hatched yet and sure enough, I've had a girl sitting in the nest all day. If she really does go broody, what's the minimum # of days I should wait to give her chicks? I'm guessing these ones in the bator should fully hatch within the next day or 2. I read you want to wait a bit to trick the broody's internal clock but if I wait too long the chicks will be too old? I would REALLY like to have these raised by a hen because it'd make life much easier having them semi-protected from the other chickens. If I have to raise them inside it'll mean I have to lock my adults in their yard every day when I want to bring the little ones out so they can see each other/get used to each other. I'd be willing to take my chances letting a momma raise them around the others. When do you think I'd have the best shot having them adopted? I read some who have actually had success putting 2 week old chicks under a broody with success but I'm not sure I want to do that unless success is common with doing that.

From my reading, the broody should have sat for a minimum of a week, but the ideal time to foster chicks to a broody is within 48 hours of hatch. I'd be tempted to take a couple out at 48 hours at night, and see what she does with them. If she accepts the first 2, then you can add the rest. If she doesn't accept them, you can always let her hatch the eggs she is sitting on. Good luck.

From my reading, the broody should have sat for a minimum of a week, but the ideal time to foster chicks to a broody is within 48 hours of hatch. I'd be tempted to take a couple out at 48 hours at night, and see what she does with them. If she accepts the first 2, then you can add the rest. If she doesn't accept them, you can always let her hatch the eggs she is sitting on. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom