Bator fan problem.....help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by riftnreef, Dec 11, 2009.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    OK...I was gonna do my sencond hatch forced air, but after installing a PC fan in my LG, I have a pretty big problem. When I run the fan, the heat stays on...and on and on and on. Every time I have turned the fan on it gets so hot that the thermometer goes black...over 130 or so. What on earth is the problem? I had pretty good luck with my last hatch of Serama's and quail in still air, and was thinking that I could do even better with a fan, but something is not working right. I put the fan on the top of the bator with spacers to keep it away from the surface to provide more air flow...is the circulation causing the thermostat to think it's too cold? Little help would be great.

On a side note, the Mrs. is upset becuase she picked out a PC fan with LED's so she could see in the bator at night...so she is very disappointed, and I plan to set TONIGHT!

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i hooked my fan up to come on when the heat comes on. thats how my homemade sportsman type is rigged up. i tried mine running all the time and had to add water every two days. i bought my fan from incubator wharehouse. the computor fan may have a faster speed then mine also. i have great hatches with it coming on and off with the thermostat. i would try wireing it to come on and off with the thermostat. good luck............

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    The PC fan we installed in ours created so much heat that we couldn't get the bator below 106. I ordered one from Incubator Warehouse and it works fine. I still hate the incubator but at least I can regulate the temp better.

4. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    These eggs have some days on them already, so I have to get them set...I guess still air it is...seemed to work for me pretty well the last go round, so with a little luck....[​IMG]

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Good luck!

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Did you re-adjust the thermostat after you added the fan?
    Here read this. http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

If
    it still gets to hot if you turn the thermostat down then the fan is what is creating the heat. Try a different fan.

7. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    I turned the thermostat all the way down, but it still wouldn't shut off...I could see if I had wired the fan through the thermostat or something, but they are wired seperately....perhaps I should move the fan to be against the celing of the bator...it would still probably move air enough to keep it circulated...at any rate, it will have to wait until next go round as the eggs have been set, so I'll play with it another time. Thanks for the input all.

8. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:If it is the same fan we initially put in it gets too hot to be placed directly on the syrofoam. JMHO.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I just posted this in another thread, Maybe it will give you something to think about as well as other opinions.

Quote:

10. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Quote:What he said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by