bator-final decision

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by only one lay, Apr 30, 2009.

1. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    brinsea seem to be the one with the least chance of me messing it up.
    ? is- does the oct20 adv outshine the oct20eco to make it worth 164 more$
    thanks

2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Quote:I don't think so! But I'm cash conscious and don't mind checking up on the eggs every once in a while! Keeps me on my toes![​IMG]

3. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:The Oct20 adv comes with the automatic humidity pump, but I don't have experience with either so I really can't say one way or the other

4. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    I have the Octagon 20 advance and used with my class. We just hatched 8 chicks from 19 eggs.. I thought it was a great set up and very user friendly. My first time ever hatching chicks. I recommend it

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Brinsea is the right choice.
    I woud not pay extra $164 for automatic humidity control, would rather buy larger or second bator.

ECO 20 is quite foolproof.

Without going into many details you fill one well with water day 1-18
    ( no splitting hair about humidity etc.)
    Then fill the second well with water day 18 to hatch.

Thats about all you need to know/do.

6. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    It took 2 months to get the last Brinsea straitened out and then it was without any help from their technical support which is a joke. I would not have one. Lyons are by far the best table top.

7. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
    Quote:Brinsea is the right choice.
    I woud not pay extra $164 for automatic humidity control, would rather buy larger or second bator.

ECO 20 is quite foolproof.

Without going into many details you fill one well with water day 1-18
    ( no splitting hair about humidity etc.)
    Then fill the second well with water day 18 to hatch.

Thats about all you need to know/do.

You should really set-up and check humidity in bator before adding any water just in case you have the bator in a humid environment. Mine runs at a constant 50% in the cool basement so I won't add water 'til hatch time. The ECO 20 seems like the way to go if the 24 or so eggs it can hold fits your needs. It would mine, especially now on sale for $99, but I'm half-way thru incubation in a homemade bator and with my luck, ALL will hatch and my first pet chicken flock will be more than I can handle....., for a while;)[​IMG]!

8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I do not know of any "Last Brinsea" problems.

Any specifics of model etc?

"Last" Brinsea is ECO 20 and it is a superbator, many people on this board recently bought it one persom got 100 % hatch on SHIPPED EGGS with Brinsea ECO 20 whether you like Brinsea or not.

9. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
    Quote:But wouldn't a Lyons be a minimum of twice the price? Money definately comes into play also![​IMG]

10. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    I wouldnt pay the extra $164 for the humidity control as its easy to keep it at a decent humidity with the brinsea eco.
    This bator is definitly worth the money, and you'll be happy with it. I can't wait untill my first batch hatches out. The only problem i have is it leaves me with nothing to do! [​IMG] All there is to do is turn and add water every once in a while.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by