Bator hatching and Broody silkie

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KalikoFarms, Sep 26, 2011.

1. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I am in lockdown for some Marans and a Silkie sitting on her eggs. They are all pipping and rolling for both bator and hen. Would it be possible to place the bator hatchlings in with the broody? Or is this to much? I have always heard that Silkies are good mommas but I dont want to over do it. If its possible to do this how do I get the chicks in with her? Will she accept them?
    Thanks
    Rita

2. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    ya its possible my silkie hen just hatched 7 eggs then i placed 4 more under her 2 weeks later and there was not problems. i also have a hen laying on 13 eggs due next week. idk if you have a silkie roosters but their amazing with chicks its adorable watching the chicks follow the dads around, my roosters have even laid on them when it was windy and cold out. when you place the chicks with her do it at night and just slip them under her.

3. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    So the momma and babies can stay right in with the others without getting pecked? I love Silkies even more now.
    Thanks
    Rita

4. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    yup mine i did during the day just because shes adopted chicks before without problem but its safer to do at night. you can do that with any broody hen its just easier with silkies, sometimes we buy chicks from hatcheries and just put them under a hen at night then tada we dont have to brood chicks. and ya momma will protect chicks from other chickens they can get mean defending their chicks

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    yes, she should accept them just fine. i would estimate her being able to brood up to 16ish chicks? most i have ever tryed at least. you may want to take them away sooner because they will soon outgrow her. 3 weeks should be enough. Please post the photos when they are here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by