Bator is on!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by embkm, Feb 24, 2009.

1. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Hi All! (this is pretty long)

I finally got tired of looking at all the parts I gathered for my Ms Prissy bator. I've been waiting for Dh to put it together for me. After 3 weeks of waiting "for his next day off", I decided to just do it myself. I was really worried about the wiring, but after 2 flipped breakers (and no shocks, lol), it was up and running. It was soooooo much easier than I thought it would be.

The kids and DH were impressed. Now I am just tweaking to get the temp at just the right spot, and I'm good to go. Having a slight problem with the humidity though. With no water, it was at about 33%. Then after dinner it went down to 27% so I added water. Within 15 minutes, hum was up to 80%! So I took out vent plugs and waited... still 75%. Took lid off for 10 min, then waited.... still 75%. Sucked some water out with a baby nasal bulb and a itty bitty straw, went to bed, hoped for the best... I was up 5 times checking on the temp/ hum (and there's not even any eggs yet! I am going to be a nervous wreck the whole time!). At 5 am, the temp in the homemade wiggler is 100.4 and hum is still at 68%. Realize it'll take forever to get the water out with the bitty straw and the bulb, so I get a thin crazy straw and suck the water out with my mouth and spit it out in a cup (yuck! I know the pan the water was in is clean, but it was warm and tasted like styrofoam.) When I left for work the stinking hum ws still at 52%! Next time I need to add water, I'm using a sponge.

Few things I've learned:
    - I can do simple wiring! It's not that hard.
    - I HATE hardware cloth.
    - I am going to be a basketcase by the end of the month
    - My kids think I'm smart AND cool (well, except my oldest... but she's in middle school and I'll NEVER be cool in her eyes)

Thank you, Ms Prissy... for your great step by step instructions!

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] You go girl!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now get them eggs and make sure to post lots of pics of fuzzy butts!!!!!

3. embkm

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    I have eggs from my friend and some from my new girls (don't know if they are fertile though). These will be my test hatch before I buy some pure eggs to expand my flock [​IMG]

shhhh... Dh doesn't know about the second part of the plan [​IMG]
    He thinks they are for a 4H project, then are all going to be given away or sold.

4. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LMAO [​IMG] Oh... I know how that goes... lol

I had bought 10 layer chicks last week and put them in the basement of the new house in a brooder... hoping he wouldn't go down there for a while so I could prove to him that brooding the chicks doesn't have to be bothersome to HIM..well, he went down there with my stepdad to look at some plumbing and when he heard them he thought there were wild birds in the house and then he stopped, looked at my SF and said "THAT'S NOT birds... THAT'S CHICKS!" [​IMG] The cat is out of the bag! [​IMG]

5. embkm

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Quote:LOL! My problem is that I don't have a basement, or a garage, or a big laundry room, or well... any where to put them that would hide them from him.

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Maybe you could get them little disguises! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Best of luck to ya.... I know those DHs can be hard eggs to crack sometimes [​IMG] (no pun intended believe it or not! [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by