Bator making me batty!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jettgirl24, Jul 14, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I have the LG 9200 still air and it is driving me INSANE. I've got a dozen gorgeous Maran eggs that have been sitting in it for 6 1/2 days and I just can't get the temp right. Humidity is spot on but the temp spikes are really ridiculous. Every time I think I get it dialed in to 100 - 101 it pulls a fast one on me. I woke up at 5AM this morning and it was down to 95. Spend a couple hours before work getting it back up, then get home from work and it's 103! I've got them in a room where the ambient air temp really doesn't fluctuate much so I don't know what else to do. I'm afraid to candle tomorrow cuz I'm worried my hatch has been ruined with all this fluctuating. I will be so sad [​IMG]

Can anyone give me some hints as to what the LG's quirks are and how to overcome them? I know that dial is unbelievably sensitive so I adjust accordingly but is there anything else I should know?

2. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have the same model. One of the things I have noticed is that the temperature varies a lot, depending on where in the incubator the thermometer sits. One corner will be 102 and the opposite side will be 98. I think if I do this incubation thing again, I will purchase a fan for mine.

I do have a few suggestions though. Make sure the top is fitted on properly. If your house temperatures dip at night (cooler night air or maybe A/C) try to keep the house at the same temp as much as possible (closed curtains during the daytime etc). Mostly, you have to make teensy-tiny adjustments and then don't look again for an hour or two. You definitely end up chasing your tail a lot with this incubator.

Good luck with your hatch.

3. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Ok, so I decided to veeeerrrry carefully bring the incubator in the house. Previously I was keeping it in our insulated shed because I thought the temperature seemed to stay steadier in there than in the house but maybe it's not as good as I think. We don't have A/C in house and the outside temp is supposed to stay in the upper 70's throughout the week so I'm hoping the house temp stays fairly even. We will see if this works, hopefully the damage isn't already done!

4. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I bet that makes a big difference.

5. shellz131

shellz131 Sams Memory Lane

Jun 28, 2010
    Malone Ny
    I have a Lg too and they are a lot of work I can tell you.. [​IMG]

6. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    I have the same model and I've been trying since THIS MORNING to get the temperature right. What is up with this thing?!? I have it in a room with the air vent closed, the blinds are closed, stable air temp of 77 in there, and this thing will randomly jump up and down. what????? I've had eggs that arrived at 3pm, and they're resting getting their air sacs right, but I think I need to put them in the incubator by 8am. I can see now why people make their own, cause I seriously believe I can do better with a heat lamp and a sponge. If it's not right tomorrow morning then that's exactly what I'm going to do.

7. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I'm so glad its not just me. I just tried to candle half of my eggs to see if there's anything going on in there after all the bator headaches but I can't tell. They're medium dark Marans eggs and I'm a complete newb with the candling. They're definitely different than infertile white eggs but I can't make out anything besides a dark mass. On the upside I also didn't make out anything resembling a blood ring in any of them so that's good at least.

8. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    You are not going to get stable temps with that bator. I had one, got rid of it quick! I hated it !! No good hatches in it (like 0/13, 1/13).

When I 1st plugged mine up, it literally took days to get it to correct temp.

(I just got my Brinsea octagon 20 eco...the basic one, today! It literally took 3 minutes to get to temp, and didnt even budge when I opened it. Its AWESOME!!!!)

Good luck!! Some ppl have good luck with LG's, others dont. I sure didnt

9. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I've heard so many mixed things about this bator but so far I haven't been too fond of it. The person I'm borrowing it from just hatched 19/20 eggs in it so I know it can do it, we'll just have to see what happens with mine! If I do this again I'm definitely going to invest in something more reliable though.

10. domino7

domino7 Songster

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I threw mine in the trash after several unsuccessful attempts, and bought an r-com20. What a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: