Bator off all night......$#%*&!! UPDATE..Hygrometor..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedReiner, Mar 25, 2011.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Songster

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Ok I have hope that some will hatch but dang it I need to gripe a little...someone flipped off the light switch that the bator is plugged into...after repeated instructions to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING in the room where the bator is...someone still flipped it off! argh!!!!! 23 english orp eggs. temp was 73 and humidity was 75!!!!!! I warmed it up to the 80's with a blow dryer and then shut the lid. taped up the light switch and called son and hubby and let them know their life was in danger... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Anyone else have theirs off for about 12 hours and had more than a couple hatch?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. Buckeyes-R-Us

Buckeyes-R-Us In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    SW - Ohio
    Red,

I loaned an incubator and 30 hatching eggs to a homeschool mom a few years ago for a "classroom" project. Her dog pulled the cord out one afternoon and the temp dropped into the low 80's (81 or 82F) before she realized the mishap! She called me in a panic and because she was 2/3rds of the way thru the process I told her to plug it back in and see what happens.....they ended up with a 75% hatch rate in the end and I was shocked to say the least!

Last spring we had 2 spring thunderstorms that knocked out power for over 12 hours one day and 10 hours on another day.....I put blankets over my bators to hold in heat but they dropped into the mid 70's before power was restored. These hatches were total losses but it was very early in the hatching process, too. Maybe you will be okay....

Don't kill the hubby or your son.....they are ONLY men and we screw up from time to time! Blame it on the dog if you have one and lets all pray your eggs hatch.

Good luck,

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Songster

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Quote:Now that's funny! If I could teach my dogs how to turn off light switches then I would have them follow the kids around the house and save on my electric bill!!!! Red I hope all the best for your eggs!!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:You should be just fine. I've had the power go off before 6 hours or so and had good hatch rates. What day are they on?

5. RedReiner

RedReiner Songster

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Quote:You should be just fine. I've had the power go off before 6 hours or so and had good hatch rates. What day are they on?

Day 12. think they might do ok? temp said 73 and humidity 75, when I stuck my hand in there it felt much warmer due to the humidity I suppose. I warmed it up a little faster with a blow dryer. to about mid 80's then shut the lid. can only hope for the best.
    Lol I have 8 dogs. cant single one out to blame. they dont go in there anyway. AND both son and hubby said...nope wasnt me... its my sons room and he was here yesterday... guess who is washing my car and truck today??? [​IMG]

6. RedReiner

RedReiner Songster

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Tomorrow is Lockdown. I started with 23 and lost 10. blood rings and clears. the 13 left were all dark with good air sacks when I candled so hoping they were still going. Its to hard to see movement at this point. so think good thoughts! [​IMG]

7. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Good luck!!!!

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I bet they'll be fine. Inside the bator cools down more slowly than if you had left them outside it. Someone on here took a tray of eggs out of their big bator and forgot to put it back in for 12 hours, and those eggs hatched out okay. I think it was BuckCreekChicken, look around and you'll probably find loads of posts about cold eggs and power outages and most of the people it has happened to still get good hatch rates...

9. ajacskr

ajacskr Chirping

Apr 29, 2010
    Talbott, TN
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Back early last month I had a broody get off the eggs at day 19, IT WAS 36 degrees outside. The eggs felt like ice cubes. Brought them in and stuck them into a bator I had running. They actually went to day 23 before hatching but 7 out of 10 hatched.

Since then I dont worry so much about temps. If they can drop to 36 degrees on day 19 and still hatch, they can withstand ALOT.

Good luck with your hatch.

10. RedReiner

RedReiner Songster

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Thanks for the encouragement [​IMG] I am thinking they will hatch, all look good. might take a day or two longer but is ok...I can wait...if I have to...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: