Bator or hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    should I use my incubator or hen? I have a 24 egg bator and I have 1 hen that wants to sit, I dont have a way to seperate her and I was wanting to know If I let her do it should I seperate her or leave her with the rest of my chickens, take the chicks when they are born and put them in a brooder or let her take care of them!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you do let her incubate the eggs, just make sure you mark them. Then remove unmarked eggs daily.

I have a broody whose eggs should hatch next Wed.

3. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    ok well i know how to tell if she is broody cause she shouldnt come off but like twice a day right? and lay biiiggg piles of poop! but what if she dosnt go all the way broody?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is she on the nest at night? My girl only gets up once a day, and I rarely catch her off the nest. (she sneaks it) And the poo.................lemme just say you will know it when you smell it. It is the most awful stuff ever. [​IMG] It only comes every few days, but it's really really nasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by