1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bator Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robert McGaughey, Jul 15, 2011.

1. I'LL TRY IT THIS WAY.

Ok, I've a question that has been [​IMG] bother'n me ever sense I started build'n this bator. [​IMG] [​IMG] Do really have to have a wiggler? [​IMG] If I do, where heck do I put it and what the heck is it for? Does Walmart carry this thing? [​IMG]

2. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Not sure what you mean by a wiggler. If you meant a turner, it's not mandatory but it is nice to have. All it does is turn the eggs from side to side so they don't stick inside the shell. You can do the same thing manually but it's more work and time consuming. With an auto turner, it turns the eggs right, then left, then right and so on. Mine turns every 30 minutes.

Good luck on your build. [​IMG]

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

if you mean a water wiggler.. well.. not really

they are nice to have if you want to know the internal temp of the eggs (so a lot less stress for when you have temp swings)

the walmart near me only carries the tiny one which is good for bantam eggs or quail.. it's over in the party supplies section

I know you can buy them online.. oriental trading carries them

how it works is like this

the water wiggler is basically a water filled tube (in a pinch you can make one from a few baggies and a little water)

you put the probe of your thermometer in the middle so it will register the temp of the water surrounding it much like the inside of an egg

it would be placed right where the eggs would lay so it would be exposed to the same temperature as the eggs.

4. Sweet Thanks Alot

5. Quote:i MEANT WATER WIGGLER, IT'S ALL GOOD THOUGH, THANKS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by