bator questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jimmythechicken, Aug 21, 2010.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    me an the kids are going to be starting our quail eggs in our lg 9200 right now i have the temp at 100.8 an humidity is 38 is this good or should i get the humiidty up an how do you do that add water to bottom i have one of the red caps taken out to start them an will remove the other one in lockdown.this is our first time so any help will do.thanks jim

2. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    Hi Jim

I am also new at this, but from what I have learned, the humidity should be +-50% until day 14, and then up it to +-60%. So you can increase the humidity by placing some more water dishes in the bottom, or wet sponges or paper towels etc. The temperature looks good [​IMG]. Good luck and [​IMG]

Post pics of the chicks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Neb

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Remove All Caps, Temp Is Ok, 100.5 Is Considered Ideal For Still Air Models, Overcooking The Eggs Will Cause A Staggered Hatch With Many Being Either Early And/or Late. Ideal Humidity Is Between 45-55% During Incubation, For The Final 3 Day Lockdown At Least 60-70% And I Recommend Hatching Eggs In The Upright Position In Cartons Or Crates Of Some Sort As This Will Increase Your Hatch Rate And Allows For Even Higher Humidity When Eggs Are Up Right So You Can Run 75+% Remember The More Humidity At Hatch The Eggshell Will Be Softer And Allow Pipping And Hatch To Happen Easier For The Chicks.

The Biggest Problem With Lg Incubators Is A Minor Design Flaw For Gamebirds/ WaterfoWl Use.... It Does Not Usually Offer Enough Water Surface Area To Allow For Higher Humidities Required. It Will Work, But Without Overcoming This Shortfall Your Sucess Will Be Lower. This Is Easily Overcome By Using Something Like Disposeable Diapers, Trauma Dressings, Even Clean Dish Sponge--- Soak Them Down As Needed And Place Them Inside The Incubator === The More Water Surface Area The More Humidity ( Not Depth Or Volume, Surface Area) Just Keep The Additional Source Wet And It Will Keep Your Humidity Higher.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    What about putting a tupperware container in there full of water?

5. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    thanks for all the help i will go get a few sponge's an get humity up. i will let you know when eggs are set we should hopefully get them today or monday then set the day after i get them just want to get bator perfect for starting them of.we just had a broody hen hatch out 4 orp an 2 naked neck silkies that was our first hatch but we did not need to do much momma did all the work.lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ALEX IT WORKS, BUT EATS UP A LOT MORE SPACE. ITS NOT VOLUME OR DEPTH, BUT SURFACE AREA... YOU GET A LOT OF SURFACE AREA OUT OF POROUS ABSORBENT THINGS LIKE DISPOSEABLE DIAPERS, FEMININE NAPKINS, SPONGES, TRAUMA DRESSINGS, ETC... PLUS THEY CAN BE PLACED IN AN OUT OF THE WAY LOCATION ALLOWING MORE USEABLE FLOOR SPACE IN YOUR BATOR. THEY WILL HOWEVER NEED MORE RE-WETTING THAN A TUPPERWARE BOWL WILL NEED TO BE REFILLED. SO ITS A TRADEOFF--- SPACE OR MAINTENCE? THE LG'S ARE GREAT LIL COOLER BATORS- NO DOUBT, I HAVE AND RUN BOTH LG AND HOVAS IN STILL AND FORCED AIR MODELS--- BOTH WORK WELL. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE TRAY DESIGN IN THE BOTTOM--- LOOK AT THE HOVA BOTTOMS AND ALMOST ALL OF IT CAN BE FILLED WITH WATER, WHEREAS THE LG ONLY HAS A SMALL SECTION. CHICKEN AND MANY OTHER POULTRY EGGS? NO BIG DEAL... HUMIDITY SENSATIVE EGGS LIKE GAMEBIRD OR WATERFOWL? DIFFERENT STORY [​IMG]

IN AN IDEAL WORLD WE WOULD HAVE LG TOPS ON HOVA BOTTOMS [​IMG] ALL OF MY LG'S HAVE ELECTRONIC THERMASTATS THAT SEEM TO BE WICKED ACCURATE AND A LIL MORE USER FRIENDLY TO OPERATE, BUT THE HUMIDITY END IS COVERED BETTER BY THE HOVA BOTTOMS...

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Wait Scratch That Ideal World Thing! I Dont Know What I Was Thinking? In A Truely Ideal World All Incubators Would Be Brinsea's ! [​IMG]

I Do Love My Brinseas!

8. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I made my incubator myself (hubby like to try to take credit for it because he drilled the holes because he won't letter me use his drill) but I used a mini bar fridge with a glass door on the front. A reptile thermostat and a mini personal fan from target and temp/humidity gauge from target too and when I need humidity without taking up space I use baby food jars with sponges cut long way sticking out the top. It helps some.

9. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    eggs are coming on tuesday or wedsday i have the temp holding steady between100.4-100.8 an humity up to 51 right now.when eggs get here what should i do how long to wait before we put them in the bator an should i turn them if i let them sit for a12-24 hours.cant wait soooo excited

10. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I wonder if just plugging the holes in the bottom of the LG incubator would work. I have two that I use and I totally agree that the irritatingly small and hard to get to water holder is just a pain to deal with. The air here has been so dry lately that I have had to keep opening them up just to add water to keep the humidity up high enough to hatch anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by