bator room lost power question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by urbanhatch, May 16, 2009.

1. urbanhatch

urbanhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    The room that my bator is in lost power for awhile this morning. the temperature in the bator showed 85 degrees before the power went back on. Could this effect the eggs? Eggs are in the bator for 7 days so far. Any comments welcomed.

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    you're good. I've had broodies on and off eggs while fighting over nests. They usually want the same one... Anyways, all hatched out fine. I've had them abandon a nest and I find them cold the next morning... like 50 degrees cold and stick them in the bator and they still hatch.

3. teeny

teeny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    West Virginia
    you could do a hook up to a battery so next time you still have power for a couple of hours. my friend did this and she uses a marine type battery for ski jets. she had an electrician friend make the hook up! worth a try for the future! BEST OF LUCK!

4. urbanhatch

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    Thanks for letting me know that the eggs are still good. Makes me think about how bad it would be to have power failure half way thru and loose the hatch.

Quote:

5. urbanhatch

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    Very good idea. I was thinking that I also could use a UPS backup used for computers to give a little extra time during power failures. With the weather changes and more storms this becomes a bigger issue as time goes on.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by