1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bator suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bayerchicks, Jan 23, 2011.

1. bayerchicks

bayerchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    We built a bator and hatched out 1/3 eggs but we had some problems when we went on lock down. We are interested in a good bator with fan and turner. I have read mixed reviews about the Hova bator and do not care for the foam which I read can crack. If I am going to spend several hundred dollars, I want a bator to last. I would prefer to stay under $500. Thanks so much!

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would buy a few Brinseas, a Sportsman, or a used GQF. A Sportsman is at the top of your price range, but if you can find a used one you are good to go.

3. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    go to craigslist and you can find some used one's for pretty good prices, i seen cabinet incubator on ebay go for like 200.00, something like that really cheap

4. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
  5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I just received mine last week. Was easy to set up. Got it up and going within an hour. Up to temperature and humidity too. I have the Mini right now that i have eggs in and it's going great. Can't wait to use the new bator which I will be at the end of the month. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have a large homemade incubator that a guy gave me a few years ago. It has some 'temp problems but I have had 100% hatches in it.
    Then for Christmas I got a Genesis Hova-Bator - I set 15 quail eggs and 11 hatched. 3 of my own chicken eggs 1 hatched and the other two were young pullet eggs so they weren't fertile. I had 9 chicken eggs from a BYC'er in my HB, threw out two, non-fertile. Other 7 are still going good. They're due Friday. Great incubator.

A few days ago my Brinsea Mini Advanced arrived ( finally ) I have yet to test it out but I have eggs coming this week.

I think you need either a Brinsea or a Sportsman. [​IMG]

Good luck on your choice! [​IMG]

7. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    Quote:So I ordered it, I don't like to wait, lol. But I did use the facebook coupon code FBME10 which took off 10%. This covered my shipping! Thanks guys I will let you know how it goes. I hope it doesn't take long to come in!

8. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Do you have pictures of your homemade incubator? Did you determine what the problem was?

9. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    It was built from plans found on BYC out of an ice chest. It has 2 fans from a computer and 1 lightbulb. The problem, I suspect was my hot water heater theromstat. It may have been my kids too, lol! After the first day on lockdown, we covered the top with a towel, and the temperature increased back to normal (Which for this bator was 100.2) But I really should not complain because I did have 1 of the 3 hatch. We were not sure if they would b/c this was the first time we tried and we were not sure of fertility. I guess that come this spring we will be hatching black leghorns and marans.

I was thinking of using the brinsea for days 1-18 and put them in the ice chest to hatch so I can add new eggs to the bator every week.

10. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by