bator temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harris farm, Sep 12, 2010.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    i have a little giant that is a few years old. I cant seem to keep the temp at 99.5 degrees. it ranges from 97.8- 102.1 degrees. i havent touched the temp knob because it spikes the temp too high or too low. it this a problem or not . what do i need to do. the humidity is also a ?. what is a good number for humidity? i read all different #s for day 1 to day 18. i am on day 14 now. please help.

2. harris farm

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    Somebody help please

3. Biddylover

Biddylover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Tennessee
    Is the room your little giant in a steady temp? Got mine in our bedroom and our house temp is set at 75 (and some of us are not happy about that but everyone will survive) anyways between where I have it and the temp of the house my thermostat doesn't move at all. I've been keeping them at 100 because it is humid here. I don't know a lot about incubators but is another possibility the thermostat going bad? Humidity is different for everyone I've gathered that from reading other posts, I can't get the humidity below 55 here for anything because well it's humid here lol. I'm sure you will get lots of good advice [​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Im going to make some assumptions....

Assumption 1: Its a incubator without a fan
    Assumption 2: Your room changes temp by over 5 degrees threw out the day.
    Assumption 3: your measuring temp at the bottom rack.

The temperature swing is in the safe range but it will stress you out. Moving it to a stable room or closet would help. Adding a fan for the next hatch will help to... In a incubator without a fan you mesure the temp at the top of the egg an shoot for 101*F. Here's a page on still air incubators.

I think you should start out at around 40% for the first 18 days an then bump it up to about 65% the last few. That is a good place to start. No one will know what humidity level will work the best for you, where you are, with your setup. Here's some info on why. http://cmfarm.us/ventilation.html

You
    just have to learn what works for you.

I have herd of people doing good with humidity anywhere from 65% down to 15% the first 18 days an anywhere from 60% to 80% at the end.

Here, use this picture an candle your eggs to decide weather your humidity is to high or low.
    [​IMG]

5. harris farm

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I do have a fan kit inside. the humidity is staying around 40%. so i guess its not all that bad. i candled last night and 6 out of 7 were positively alive and moving and the 7th one had vains. Thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by