Bator temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lady EE, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Lady EE

Lady EE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Earth
    Hi

This is my first time hatching,and I'm using a foam incubator in a room that has unstable temperature, is kind of prone to being played with by kids under 5, and the incubator usually has the odd temp spike. It's gone over 104, and been down to 75 just now.[​IMG] It's in a mostly concrete basement room with no heat, so I can't do anything to heat it. What should I do?

Thanks!

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Is there any possible way you can move the bator to a more stable room, like a shelf in your living room or kitchen?
    I keep mine on a shelf in the dining room.

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I hate to say it, but you probably won't hatch anything. But for your future hatch attempts try and re-locate your bator into a more stable temp area or room.

4. Lady EE

May 10, 2011
    Earth
    I kind of can't, because we have LOTS of little kids running around trying to see them or knock the bator off the table, and that is our only lockable room.

5. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Do you have a closet you could put them in? We had the same problem at first because the room temp wasn't stable but we moved the bator into the closet and it's been working great.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. Put it in a closet and put a lock on the door if you need to..

7. Lady EE

May 10, 2011
    Earth
    No locking closets unfortunately. We just finished candling and 2 out of 21 were obviously alive, and 5 blue we couldn't see through. The blues ended up 4 ?- and 1 ?+.

8. Lady EE

May 10, 2011
    Earth
    We threw out some live eggs:barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by