'bator tweeking

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken stalker, Jan 28, 2009.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I've built my bator for the online contest and now I am in the process of tweeking it before I post it.

The problem: Thermometer reads too different temps that are about 4-5 degrees apart. The indoor temp ('bator temp) ranges from 96 to 99 and the outside temp (homemade wiggler temp) usually stays at about 101 (yes I realize thats too warm for eggs). Used 100 w bulb and an accurite themometer.

How do I get them to be closer?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    101 is not TOO warm for eggs, i like 100.5 or 101 in my still air.

3. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I have a computer fan in my bator. I thought it was supposed to be closer to 99.5

4. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I go by Miss Prissy's guidelines. So long as the internal egg temp is 99-100 you are good to go. Make sure your INTERNAL temp is accurate and it doesn't swing like your external temps. My external temps swing 98-102, but the water wiggle temp maintained at 100 the whole time. Now... if I can just get my humidity down a bit - it's hanging at 79% and "raining" in the box!! Took out the water dish this morning to see what it is without it. Maybe a sponge will work better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by