Bator ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by embkm, Feb 24, 2009.

1. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    OK... I'm trying not to let the air temp swings bother me cuz the wiggler temps are much steadier. It was steady at 99.0, so I tried to bump it up to 99.5 (that's the ideal temp, right?) and it shot up to 100.4. SO bump it down a hair, temps back to 98.9. Bumop it up and goes back up to 100.7. Grrrrr.[​IMG].. what is a good range where I should just leave it?

Also, how do I get the hum stable? With nothing in there, hum hovers around 27-30%. I tried adding a warm damp sponge, and hum shot up to 75%! Any suggestions? please?

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    use the sponge just not as wet

3. embkm

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    The sponge is barely damp. I only put about 2 tablespoon of water on it, waited a few seconds, then tried to sqeeze any extra water out. Should I try cutting the sponge in half?

4. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    yea you can try that as humidity isnt how much water there is it is how much space it covere so have 2 in wide with only 1.2 deep is going to be highter then 1 inch wide and 5 inches deep, it all depends on surface area so a smaller sponge or cuttign the one you have in half should work what day are you on again

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    what kind of bator? i don't put sponges in till day 18 because they raise the hum so much, if it's a homemade bator try just a cut down to-go cup with just water, reg bator water in the wells only, till hatch time, 100's are fine, don't worry till you see 101 or 98,

6. embkm

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Quote:It's homemade. I had no water in and the hum was at 30%, then went down. Yesterday I put water in the little pan I put in the bottom and the hum spiked super high. After waiting, I sucked all the water back out. Hum went back to around 30, then went down to 23. So I put in the sponge, thinking it would be a heck of a lot easier to take out than the water was. But the hum still spiked high. I'm going to try cutting the sponge and just putting smaller pieces until I can get it stable.

Thanks for the temp info.

7. embkm

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Bock bock... I haven't started yet, still trying to get it stable. I just built it yesterday and am trying to get the settings right.

8. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    vent holes?

9. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Quote:ok i see well like you said just keep adding pices of sponge till you get your humidity where you want it to be well good luck on gettign it settled mine took 2 days but i did get it settled

10. embkm

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Quote:I have 4 vent holes. I opened all of them when the hum was in the high 70's, closed them when the hum went down to 40.

Added a small piece of sponge... will see how that works. I'm going to bed, but I'm sure I'll be up checking it 5 times tonight (again! LOL)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by