Batoring Brown store bought eggs ??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BackSwampGirl, Nov 29, 2008.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    This may sound stupid,but I candled some brown eggs that I bought from the gro. store.And they are fertile.Is there any luck on these eggs hatching out.

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

There has been a few threads about that on here before and they did have success.

3. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Out of curiosity, how can you candle an egg and know that its fertile?

4. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    I took my candler and checked them.And you can tell.It has a small like little spot there.Dark spot,which I may be wrong,but I have candled a lot before and after awhile you can just tell.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    And, as an added bonus, wouldn't it be cool to know what kind of chickens your grocery store eggs come from?!

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    sounds like a cool idea to me...keep us posted..

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would put money on production reds.

8. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] Oh well I am going to try it.And I will keep yall informed.I do know one thing they are some big brown eggs.I`m going to try about 6.And crossing my fingers that they hatch.Waiting to get them to room temp. 1st.Wish me luck.!!!!!!![​IMG]

9. bkbingham

bkbingham Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Bunkerville, NV
    What kind of candler do you have that lets you see such detail? I would love to know cause I have chickens that lays brown eggs and the mag flashlight thing is not very forgiving for me.

10. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Before I'd rely on candling, why not crack one open and see if it's fertile? Also...I'd be careful about the collection date. I believe all store bought eggs must be marked with a number indicating the date of collection, 1=January 1st, 365=December 31st, so I'd try to get ones that were actually fresh.

It should be interesting, in any case!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by