***Bators Off For 3 Days...They're all gone**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UrbanMama, Dec 14, 2008.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    We had a major ice storm and our power has been out for the past 3 days. (Hallelujah, it's finally back on!) We had a small generator running so we could use the space heater...but my bators were off during that time. The temps got down to 48-50 degrees in our house.

I had just set eggs in my hatcher (BO's & BA's from Poultrylady [​IMG] ) and I had 5 EE's and 8 buttons in my main bator that were due to be moved to the hatcher yesterday (for the EE's ) and Tues. for the buttons. What are the odds that these guys will make it and when do I transfer them to the hatchers?

These past few days have been some of the hardest I've had in a very long time. 4 kids (2,3,10,11) w/out electricity, heat & hot water...it's been awful. I've been so concerned about my chicks & buttons being without heat lamps (anyone else ever have 7, 2 week old chicks in their shirt at the same time? [​IMG] ) I'm just praying that there aren't any lasting effects to all of this. Sorry to ramble on, I'm extremely sleep deprived right now!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The ones that were due are probably lost. I would put them to hatch just in case and hope for the best.

The ones that were just set may actually be ok. During the first 3 days of incubation the process can be halted and started again after several days.

Matt

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    glad it is over for ya. i would fire the bators back up and let it ride. it must have been some sight to see you with a shirt full of chicks.

4. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's what I was afraid of. They were all actually close to hatching [​IMG] I have my LG heating up to use as a hatcher for the buttons and I'll just put all my chicken eggs into my Hovabator hatcher. How long would you give them to hatch? A couple of weeks? I'm so bummed right now.....

5. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:It was really funny! I just tucked a towel under my shirt and laid them on top. The snuggled in, peeping happily. I had to call it quits when they started thinking it was play time....Ouch!

6. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Okay, I just a phone call and we'll be losing power again in less than an hour.... [​IMG] !!!! This stinks! I've just finally gotten these bators back up to temp....is it even worth trying to get them through another night? (Hot water jars etc?)

7. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    how long this time. cant spare a cord for the bator huh

8. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  9. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:My husband took the generator to work with him....can I scream yet? I have the heat cranked up to 80* in the house, and I'm getting the jars ready for hot water.... when is this going to end?

******Edited to add: This is supposed to be from 5pm to 5am minimum.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck... but I personally don't think they will make it anymore after 72 hours at even room temperature. In the first week, they can do up to about 24 hours at room temp in the first week after being started, but even then, hatchability goes down to about 50%. The ones due are probably long gone by now but you can candle to see if there is any movement. I kind of doubt it though. Past a net 25 days from heating up to temp the first time, energy in the egg is usually gong to be lost beyond hatchability.

Sorry for the bad luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by