Battered hen - Do I have to pluck her feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mariejb21, Sep 21, 2011.

1. mariejb21

mariejb21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Hello!

I inherited a RIR hen that is very badly battered and I need to know what is the best way to help her.... Here's the picture of what she looks like:

[​IMG]
    Bertha is just over a year old... even though she is in such hideous condition, she faithfully lays every day and is very cheerful and at the top of the pecking order! I believe her damage is from a roo. Fellow hens don't dare peck on her! I tried an apron, but every time I put it on her she shook it off! it would end up sideways and then she was even afraid to move!!

So, I have increased her protein intake. Does she need Black Oil Sunflower Seeds? I give her pork sometimes and dog treats high in protein. But my question is: do I need to pluck her feathers before they grow back? she has been this way for a while. The back pinfeathers are starting to grow back, it's the wings that are not changing for anything. If I do need to remove the feathers, is there an easy and painless method? Should I put something wet/warm on the area to loosen them?

I would be grateful for any input! I really need to help her out...

Thanks!

~Marie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For your only hope of salvation, visit: www.JohnTheBaptist.us

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I wouldn't pluck those bad feathers. I would probably get a saddle for her back. With her next good molt those bad feathers will be replaced with new shiny ones. It's gonna take some time but she's gonna shine!

3. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    I have a hen like that and all summer she has looks rather ratty and naked looking, gave her high protein feeds and scratch too. Thankfully, now that summer in VA is being shoved out of the way by fall, our hen, Lacy's feathers are starting to come back now and I am very thankful. We too tried a very pretty apron on her, but she would crouch and walk...

4. mariejb21

mariejb21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Okay, thanks!! I will wait it out... I feel bad for her, though! [​IMG]

5. burbankchix

burbankchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    California
    I don't know what's up with RIR's, but we are fairly new chicken owners (14 in the flock) and 2 are RIR's. They are both very shy, but very big. They are the last ones out of the coop into the run and always hang out by themselves, not even with each other! Yesterday I noticed one of them was pecked on her backside right above her tail in an area the size a little bigger than a silver dollar. This is brand new wound. I took the advise on the forum and put neosporin on the area and then smeared Vicks VapOrub on her wings, back and tail. I hope this works. Is getting beat up a trait of RIR's?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by