1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Battery back up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Two Creeks Farm, May 8, 2011.

1. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    I have been mulling over buying an incubator, however we loose power almost daily (live off the beaten path it seems). It has been the death of more then one computer......

It happens often enough that I am very hesitant about buying the equipment only to find the power went out or that I toasted an incubator as I do not know how they respond to voltage spikes caused when the power comes back to life. Usually its a 5 or 10 minute deal, but extended periods are not uncommon.

Would a battery back up offer some help? I have portable battery packs that will run things for several hours but that would only help if I were home and caught the outage.

Any suggestions?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

No outage under 6 hours will hurt anything. Proof is in my incubator cam hatching right now. Several 6 hour outages when I was running off my car battery for 4 days after a tornado.

As for the spikes, just stick with incubators that dont have electronics.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Thats a relief I reckon. I do have two generators but they are not sine wave...wasnt sure how delicate some of the units are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by