Battery Chickens for adoption in Southern California

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ma66ie, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ma66ie

ma66ie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Hi everyone! I'm trying to find out if it is possible to rescue/adopt battery chickens here in So Cal. I already have 4 hens and a rooster and I'm going to build a second coop and would like to give some poor chickens a comfy home. I have found ONE place that has chickens for adoption but they require that you be VEGAN.... I'm not vegan by any stretch of the imagination but it's not like I' going to rush home with my newly adopted chickens and throw them in a pot pie... I mean, c'mon! I just want to help.

LET ME HELP!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. butterflygrooves

butterflygrooves Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    Oh!!! I'm in Southern California AND am vegan, can you give me the info for the adoption place you found? Pretty please. [​IMG]

3. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Good for you! I'm glad your adopting battery cage chickens. It's disgusting the way they take care of those birds!!

4. alcina_dreamer

alcina_dreamer Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    georgia
    I adopted a few chickens from a chicken house that was shut down ...they were just going to gas all of them. I know I did a good thing by "saving" the ones I got but i don't like them [​IMG].

5. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:just out of curiosity, why didn't you like them? It's ok, I don't think you're a bad person. Any animal or human that has been mistreated usually comes with issues.

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:just out of curiosity, why didn't you like them? It's ok, I don't think you're a bad person. Any animal or human that has been mistreated usually comes with issues.

That's what that sounds like... mishandled animals have a poor attitude toward they're handlers... that even means there new ones.

Oh, and they require you are Vegan or Vegetarian? Vegan is too extreme to me, I think that is ridiculous to expect of anyone. The few Vegans out there may have no need to raise chickens... ? I mean really... Whats wrong with Vegetarian even... at least allow people to eat the bird's eggs if so they chose? I don't ever here the SPCA saying "HEY, you can't eat animals or animal by-products to adopt one of our cats!" That's just silly!

7. alcina_dreamer

alcina_dreamer Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    georgia
    there wasnt any requirements just had to go get them befor they were dead . between me and a few people I know we got 160 something birds out of there but still alot we couldnt take [​IMG]
    I had 18 of 27 actually make it home the heat kills them easy. they might have their beaks trimmed but they beat up my chickens and ducks, they are loud, smelly and very picky eaters...oh yeah and my poor roosters are scared to go near any of the girls now. I've had them over a 2 months now and I thought things would have settled down by now [​IMG] ...It's not all bad they did keep laying [​IMG] but I'm sure i want be getting any more rescue hens like these again it's just not for me i guess

8. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I want to do that one day..rescue chickens from factory farms, nurse them back to health and sell them. I would love to adopt some hens but I live in North Carolina [​IMG]

9. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Requiring the person to be a vegan doesn't make much sense. What, they want you to throw the eggs away?

Battery Chickens may not make the best pet chickens, and in some cases they haven't really be exposed to an disease, so they can be vulnerable.

With some patience, you might be able to get some decent chickens with time and affection, and lord knows they need some of that.

10. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Are this all gone now?
    Im looking to rescue some hens, but im not sure where to start looking.
    Im in Southern California too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by