Battery Cickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by puppygirl, May 17, 2010.

1. puppygirl

puppygirl New Egg

May 17, 2010
    Where can battery chickens be found in the western states for adoption? I live in AZ.
    Every thing on the net says new zealand or united kingdom. Doesn't the US have any chicken rescues where one can rehome chickens who need a better life?

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't have an answer, even though I'm in AZ too. Maybe try in the AZ thread?

And, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:It could be because it's usually Brits who call them "battery" chickens. I think the US uses another term in addition. Can't think of it at the moment.

Usually they come from large factory type places, and if there's none within a few hours of your town, then you might be out of luck. Try contacting your local humane society. They might know of poultry that needs rescuing.

Good luck, and good for you for wanting to help our feathered friends.

4. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Hrmmm, I'm still thinking about it. I thought about adopting a chicken too, but I realized I would feel guilty if I just took a few.

I think that if you look on the egg cartons, they list the name of the farm the eggs came from. They won't necessarily be mistreated... but you could always ask if you could adopt one that is close to retirement.

I know we have Hickman's Eggs here, and that they are in Bullseye, AZ. They have something like 3 million hens in battery cages.

http://www.hickmanseggs.com/

We also have cartons that say "Southwest Farmer's Market" and "Lucerne Eggs", but I can't find either of those farms.

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Why don't you try "rescue hens" or "laying hens for adoption"?

6. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Hello fellow Arizonans from Colorado.

I was born and raised in Tucson and while I was there there was an egg farm/factory near Marana. You might look in the yellow pages under wholesale foods. I also think there was some kind of chicken farm down near Sahuarita.

I love Arizona and plan to return there someday but I don't miss the heat.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by