Battery hen not eating

Marie2020

Addict
May 12, 2020
My battery hen is slipping away. Her vent is down but cannot recognise if it a prolapse. He tummy is red and I cannot access a chickens vet.

My question is would it be okay to use dmso around her tummy and vent? And can chickens take this orally? I'm guessing it's a no for my latter question. But I have read that it has been injected in the past and used on horses dog's and rats.
It has also been used for bumble foot in chickens
20220421_144711.jpg

20220421_143413.jpg

20220421_144152.jpg

20220421_143520.jpg

Last edited:
Can you show a closeup of her vent? Prolapse is pretty obvious if we can see the vent. If she has a prolapse, it should be kept moist with honey or oil, so that it doesn’t dry out. Make sure that she doesn’t have an egg stuck. I do not have any experience with DMSO. PoultryDVM which is not an official vet site mentions it. Here is some reading about prolapsed vents:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/cloacal-prolapse
Thank you for your input:)

Thank you for your input:)
I'm going to get both canesten and prep h tomorrow. I have cleaned her and she's relaxed in a box with pine straw and a towel over her in my bathroom. She's staying in with me tonight 💓❤️

I'm getting both creams too be safe because the white she passed smells of poo

Her crop has not emptied and she hasn't passed a poo . She is contained in my home.

How old is she? When did she last lay an egg?

Crop not emptying overnight might be caused by reproductive issues.
Her crop emptied by the time I had got back from the chemist. I've been really concerned as her eating was poor but found that in these cases she needed treatment and I used 2% canesten. Apparently pellets and corn was not advised so I mashed up a boiled egg with Greek yogurt which she started too eat after the canesten

She has a prolapse and couldn't get hold of the preparation H. So I looked into the bhwt, (resque) where I got her from they advised manuka honey to relieve the swelling, I softened this and inserted into her vent and again she started to eat. :)

The battery birds are supposed too leave or be culled :( after 18 months but I felt she was at least two years possibly more. I have had her for seven months.
The past 4 months she has been laying soft eggs and membrane and only a little egg yoke and white a couple of days ago.

She is now covered and left to rest with her food and water. I am going to take her in my garden for a little breather with me soon then she us back in with me

Thanks so much for your inquiries :)
Can you show a closeup of her vent? Prolapse is pretty obvious if we can see the vent. If she has a prolapse, it should be kept moist with honey or oil, so that it doesn’t dry out. Make sure that she doesn’t have an egg stuck. I do not have any experience with DMSO. PoultryDVM which is not an official vet site mentions it. Here is some reading about prolapsed vents:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/cloacal-prolapse
It's exceptionally hard to get a photo as she's stressed.

Thank you for these links which I have already acted upon. :)

The past 4 months she has been laying soft eggs and membrane and only a little egg yoke and white a couple of days ago.
She needs calcium citrate tablets containing D3 + K to help with the formation of a proper egg shell. You can give her people tablets or get some poultry supplement for her drinking water. She should have at least 600 per day for 7-10 consecutive days.

Continuously laying soft shelled eggs and having them ruptured inside the oviduct can lead to severe infection.

Has she had any droppings since yesterday? She could have an egg blocking her vent along with the prolapse. Is there any egg-shape to her prolapse? Honey or sugar and water mixed into a paste are very good to help with swelling or edema. Manuka honey is very expensive, but is effective in wound healing. It can days days or a week for some prolapses to stay in once they are pushed in and held. Placing in a dark cage for 16 hours each day, allowing 8 hours for light and eating/drinking, walking around, can help to stop laying temporarily.

She needs calcium citrate tablets containing D3 + K to help with the formation of a proper egg shell. You can give her people tablets or get some poultry supplement for her drinking water. She should have at least 600 per day for 7-10 consecutive days.

Continuously laying soft shelled eggs and having them ruptured inside the oviduct can lead to severe infection.
I've purchased the solgar calcium d3. I haven't added this too her egg mash today but will on her next meal . They didn't seem too help before but I now believe it was due too the other issues. I'll start them again tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom