Battery Hen Rescue

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kennys chicks, Apr 4, 2018.

1. kennys chicks

kennys chicks Chirping

Jul 1, 2012
    I have not posted in awhile. My flock has grown from 3 to 14 hens, who are loved so much. We are wanting to rescue Battery hens from egg farms. We love in Fredericksburg, VA. I have emailed countless rescues all the way to upstate New York to VA. No one has returned my emails. We just want to help. We are willing to build another coop and run if needed. Does anyone know of any rescues near me?

2. kennys chicks

kennys chicks Chirping

Jul 1, 2012
  3. kennys chicks

kennys chicks Chirping

Jul 1, 2012
    Above are some of our wonderful hens, Kate, Ave and Caroline

4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That’s so great that you want to rescue battery hens. You could call the number on the egg carton that store bought eggs come in and tell them that you want to buy some hens. I hear that spent hens are like $2 each and laying hens are $10 each.
    Good luck with rescuing some battery hens. God bless you.

5. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    Good luck on your mission! That's awesome! My mom's first flock (I was 6-7 years old at the time) was 20 white leghorn battery hens. They couldn't walk for the first couple days we had them but within months they were out foraging and scratching around like normal chickens.

6. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    I really hope you have some ex battery hens. It is easy in uk to rescue hens. I got mine from British Hen Welfare Trust. There is alot of other charities that do the same. It seems that the US is behind in wanting to rehome 'spent' hens. I guess it must just be easier to send them straight for slaughter than give them an second chance at life. If your having difficulty in speaking to the producers could you contact the slaughterhouse? I know that may seem extreme but could it be a possibility? The satisfaction of rescuing these poor hens is only topped by seeing them recover and happily scratching around like a chicken should.

7. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under kennys chicks :frow

Living in Aus I am not able to help you out but I did just want to say Kudos! :clap and best wishes to you and the girls you are giving a second chance at a good life.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe if you search for "Battery Hens," on BYC something will pop up. I know there are often stories I've read on BYC where someone shows off their battery hens, before & after good care.

10. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Kenny :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: