Battery hen suddenly bloated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johnsonfarm, Jun 3, 2019.

1. johnsonfarm

johnsonfarm Songster

Oct 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I got 5 hens 18 months old from an organic egg farm. Each year they sell them off as a fundraiser for local nonprofits. I kept them quarantined, then moved them to the coop but kept them inside for several days. They've been doing well, and today I let them out for the first time. This evening when I went to shut them in, one has a swollen abdomen and walks like a duck...

Trying to figure out if shes egg bound or got into something she shouldn't have and has ascites?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Have you felt inside the vent for an egg?
    While you are at it, feel the abdomen between her legs below the vent for bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid.

Ascites is a symptom - it's fluid caused by a number of things - in laying hens it could be reproductive problems or organ dysfunction (fatty liver disease, heart trouble for example).

Sadly, laying hens often suffer from reproductive problems like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, Internal Laying and Salpingitis.

3. johnsonfarm

johnsonfarm Songster

Oct 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I cant feel an egg, it's been a few days now and she's still bright eyed, eating, and not at all lethargic. I gave her oyster shell and will do a warm soak tonight. Its been warm and humid out which I've heard can help. Just weird. I'll try to post a photo soon.

Sequel likes this.
  4. johnsonfarm

johnsonfarm Songster

Oct 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Found a shell-less egg today, no change in her condition, she's still bright eyed, eating well, waddling around to keep up with the others. Starting to think it's EYP or some other reproductive problem? :confused:
    I may try seeing if I can drain water off her.

Sequel likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you actually feel fluid in the abdomen?
    If she is still able to walk, eat/drink, keep up with the others then I would be inclined to leave her be.
    If she declines, you feel fluid, she has labored breathing, etc. then draining may give her temporary relief.

Sequel likes this.
  6. johnsonfarm

johnsonfarm Songster

Oct 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yes, definitely feels like a water balloon. Here is a picture, she looks rough, and her comb has been picked at, currently at the bottom of the pecking order. Her belly is red. Like I said though, she eats and wanders around, just walks more like a penguin! 20190608_183849.jpg

Sequel likes this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor thing! :hugs
    You could try draining her to see if that helps make her more comfortable. Fluid in the belly can be from reproductive disorders and/or organ dysfunction.
    If she were mine and I wanted to try to extend life/give comfort and supportive care, I would try draining, administer antibiotics (Baytril or Amoxicillin) and try detox as outlined by @coach723 since she is eating/drinking. I would probably take her off layer feed and use chick starter or flock raiser and give her poultry vitamins at least once a week.

If you lose her, sending the body to your state lab or performing an informal investigation yourself will let you know more about what was going on in there.

Sequel and johnsonfarm like this.
  8. johnsonfarm

johnsonfarm Songster

Oct 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for the video and advice. I got some 5ml syringes with needles and drained off a bunch tonight, lots more to go, I need a bigger syringe! She must have 4 cups of water in her, poor thing.

Sequel likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor girl, she probably will feel a bit better after some of that comes out.
    I would drain slowly or poke another hole or two to see if she will drip more slowly, sometimes draining too much at once can send them into shock or cardiac arrest.

I hope she feels a little better soon.

Sequel and micstrachan like this.
  10. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Poor girl! What color is the fluid? You can also try aloe vera detox to help with the fluid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: