Battery Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Celtic Hill, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Anyone have any rescued battery hens? I have always wanted to rescue some. Lets talk and share pics about these wonderful souls!

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i want to rescue some- i have read alot and it just breaks my heart! found a email group in the UK, but not here in the US, have you found any info?

3. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I too would like to rescue battery hens, but I have no clue as to where to start. If anyone has any info on where/how to get started with this endeavor, I'm sure we'd all be very grateful! [​IMG]

4. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Contact Silverphoenix on here, that is what she does.

So i have a question for ya all. Where did the term come from. I know these are commercial laying hens but where did the term battery come from.

My 13 yrs old explaination: It is like battered women's shelters only for hens....

My 9 yrs old explaination: No it means they have to have battery to lay their eggs.

[​IMG]

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The term was coined by the Brits referring to the cages known as battery cages. The word Battery hen was a slang name given to the hens by the animal welfare crowd.

7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    You probably will not find battery hens in the U.S. available for rescue as they will not negotiate with the groups that deal in that use of spent hens. They have markets for them.
    Quote:

8. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Quote:Wonder how the cages got that name? Is there a history behind it? Thanks for the info by the way!!

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    so it would be by chance to find some to adopt? i've seen rescues on youtube in Illinois- i guess i'll keep searching

10. j egger

j egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Georgetown, TX
    hey guy's, I like the sound of rescuing battery hens, but I have one simple question. WHAT IS A BATTERY HEN!?[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by