battery hens/ commercial layers-- rescue time!!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by sumatra, Aug 8, 2010.

1. sumatra

sumatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    NW PA
    I live 30 miles from an egg farm that is offering 1 year old hens for sale at 50 cents each. Pick up will be next Saturday. I can get as many as anybody wants.
    I got 70 yesterday. They are molting, but seem ok otherwise. They aren't too skinny, but they are depleted from egg-laying--white legs and light pink combs. NO runny noses. A few had had their beaks trimmed, but none were debeaked. All are very alert and active. These are all white leghorns, but they had brown hens too.
    I live 60 miles SE from Erie, Pa. I am 2 hours away from Cleveland or Buffalo, State College, Pa, or Pittsburgh. You could pick them up here or I could meet you if you would be so kind as to cover my gas expenses.
    P.s. They are quiet--not a peep on the ride home. Right now they are just standing around confused. They have never seen the sun, the sky, or grass dogs or turkeys ducks and geese. Rabbits are fascinating! They are still thinking about how the ground feels, I think. They are very timid about walking.
    PM me if you are interested!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I wish you lived closer!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are you sure they aren't older than 1 year and have been laying for a year? The neighbor's egg farm I used to work at as a teen-ager swapped out hens every 18 months or so.....hardly seems cost effective to swap them out if they've only been laying for less than a year.

4. sumatra

sumatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    NW PA
    They just listed them as one year old hens. They are still laying well--I have WAY too many eggs now. They are really enjoying themselves today-- they are taking dust baths and basking in the sun.

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    sumatra wrote:
    I live 30 miles from an egg farm that is offering 1 year old hens for sale at 50 cents each. Pick up will be next Saturday. I can get as many as anybody wants.
    I got 70 yesterday. They are molting, but seem ok otherwise. They aren't too skinny, but they are depleted from egg-laying--white legs and light pink combs. NO runny noses. A few had had their beaks trimmed, but none were debeaked. All are very alert and active. These are all white leghorns, but they had brown hens too.
    I live 60 miles SE from Erie, Pa. I am 2 hours away from Cleveland or Buffalo, State College, Pa, or Pittsburgh. You could pick them up here or I could meet you if you would be so kind as to cover my gas expenses.
    P.s. They are quiet--not a peep on the ride home. Right now they are just standing around confused. They have never seen the sun, the sky, or grass dogs or turkeys ducks and geese. Rabbits are fascinating! They are still thinking about how the ground feels, I think. They are very timid about walking.
    PM me if you are interested!

I wish you lived closer!

I agree, I would take a few if you lived closer!​

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Bless your heart. I sure wish I lived closer.

7. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

wish i lived a little bit closer and they were brown chickens [​IMG] how are there feathers?

8. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    aww that is so sweet you are rescuing them, I would take some too if I didnt live on the other side of the country [​IMG]
    I hope you find good homes for them, it breaks my heart to hear about chickens that are just seeing the world for the first time at 1 year old!

9. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i recently took on 45 ex-battery hens (they are swapped 'out' at 1 year old here)
    watching a confused ex battery hen learn how to be a chicken has been one of the highlights of this year...! when we first got them home they were petrified of everything apart from metal cages(!)
    it took a few weeks for them to venture out of the coop, it took even long for them to figure out if you scrath about you find tasty treats, and the yellow round things are good to eat (corn)
    will try and find 'then and now' pics..you'd be amazed at the difference a bit of tlc does to an ex battery hen [​IMG]

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    sumatra, I'm down in TN but I just wanted to say YOU TOTALLY ROCK.

I wish you all the best with the birds you rescued!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by