1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Battery Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nick101, Dec 29, 2007.

1. nick101

nick101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2007
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hello, I was around through some online chicken pages, and noticed that there are two egg farms close to my house, (1-2 hours away) I want to know what is everyone else's experience in rescuing battery hens? Any tips for doing such? Thanks in advance!
    Nick

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just curious..as to what battery hens are?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Battery hens are those stereotypical birds you see crammed in cages. They are almost always white leghorns.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you for wanting to help them. [​IMG]
    JJ

6. nick101

nick101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2007
    Chicago, Illinois
    Quote:These hens are usually crammed into a cage no bigger than their bodies, they can not move, stand, roost, fly, go out and enjoy sunlight on their backs, nothing! When they are useless and stop laying, they get butchered for animal food, or the chicken pie you saw at your last visit to the grocery store. They are mostly White Leghorns, or the Red Star. Thanks for the links Tiffany, that's exactly what I wish to do. It's incredible what they do to these animals. Thanks for your support everyone!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by