BAttery operated heat lamp???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Southern28Chick, May 17, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Has anyone ever heard of a battery operated heat lamp? I did a google search but couldn't find one. I don't even know if there is such a thing.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Never heard of one.

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    The wattage required to run a heat lamp would require a very, very large battery. Not a feasible item...

Andy

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I thought that I was being silly. I'm a super crazy chicken mom and I figured since my coop is so far from an electrical outlet that maybe there was a battery operated heat lamp for cool nights in the hen house when my chicks get to finally go outside.

Thanks anyway.

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I understand...I have about 300 feet of extension cord running from my house to the coop for those cold nights...

Andy

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, batteries will be dead instaneously... Not even a car battery would last long. Heating is highly inefficient.

7. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    IMO, you could try to use a solar array with batteries to try to run it. But that would prolly cost alotta money.

8. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I looked into solar power to heat our coop but no luck. heat lamps are 250 watt bulbs a solar pannel / battery system large enough to power it would cost more than you would save by just plugging in to an outlet. since you need the light at night when there is no sun it would take a huge battery bank to store enough power to run the light at night. maybe someday it will be feasiable but not yet.
    [​IMG]

9. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
  10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmm... to tired to do any math, but my guess is that with a 250 watt bulb on that thing, it would last maybe a few hours? And it takes 24 hours to charge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by