Battery opperated hot wire?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by henryetta, Sep 10, 2009.

1. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    I was thinking this would be much more practicle for me. Does anyone know of such a thing??? Thanks

2. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Yes, it's out there. They have some at my local farm store. The batteries are fairly expensive though. Solar is also an option - but expensive too. Heck, the hot fencing equipment is all expensive in my opinion - but maybe I'm just cheap.

3. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Petsmart use to sell them. Not sure if they still do. I got mine many years ago, and it operates on 2 D batteries. Gives enough 'kick' to keep my dogs from getting out of their lot, and I've seen it work keeping two boxers out of flower beds. Not sure how effective it would be on others animals.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Tractor Supply has a variety. You can search their website and decide what you want before buying.

5. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You could try this little charger. They run on 6 or 12 volt. I ran one on a
    12 volt deep cycle battery.
    [​IMG]

Chris

7. Destinee's Dozen

Destinee's Dozen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Bell, Florida
    We have a solar charger that we got from TSC for about $100, that powers 2 strands of hot wire around our coop and run. We don't have to worry about plugging in a power cord or paying a light bill on it.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I love this site for electric fencing:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/species.php

They have everything organized by type of animal, and their customer service is very helpful--I called about goat fencing and they walked me through all my options and, based on my conditions and desires, helped me select what works for me.

I haven't actually ordered yet--in fact, it's on my to-do list tomorrow--so I can't speak for their customer service or quality after the purchase, but I like what I've seen so far, and their website is easy to understand and navigate. And their prices seem very competitive to what I've seen at Tractor Supply and similar. Free shipping on orders over $100 too.

I plan to get, in addition to the portable net fencing for the goats, a single strand to put around the duck pens at night at dog-nose height, as an extra layer of protection.

9. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2007
    Georgia
    Cast my vote for Premier1Supplies also. Get their catalog, it is not just product, it is an education. They have some stuff that is exclusive to them. The free shipping is limited to certain products, not everything qualifies, but the catalog states whether it is or not on each item.

10. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:no anything is exspensive to me its just part of being poor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by