1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

battery powered car antenna door opener.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joshremlin, Dec 28, 2013.

1. joshremlin

joshremlin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Sheffield (UK)
    Ive seen many of these made using car antennas but there all wired up to mains electrics which I don't have in the coop so my idea was to use a car battery, ive bought everything needed to set it up but was wondering if you byc keepers think it will work too...

[​IMG]

Thats the sketch of how it will be wired up, so am I right in thinking this will work (pictured above) ? Because if I was fitting this to a car the black one is ground to the car body with the green and red being the + and - but would I just get away with cutting the coax antenna off ? or would that need to be the switch wire?, the +T on the timer is obviously the lived timed therefore been the switch.

How would I test it to find if I have a good earth?

These are the antenna connectors. .

[​IMG]

This is the antenna its self...

[​IMG]

Thanks for the input as I can't find one wired up this way!

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG]

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    There is a photographic tutorial on building one of these here https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/automatic-pop-hole-opener

If you consider that the example is the same for your purposes by excluding that AC portion of the wiring, then this should walk you through the assembly.

You will need some means of recharging your battery. A solar cell charger should be enough to replenish the battery.

Chris

4. joshremlin

joshremlin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Sheffield (UK)
    Thats what im putting on it chris just a car trickle charger ill take a look at that now thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by