Battle of the Waterers....

Want Less

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Bern, NC
Looking for a good waterer.... any suggestions?

This year we've been using one of those cheap plastic waterers with the screw on bottom that sits on the ground and, even after putting it on a platform, we've had a nonstop several-times-a-day battle of keeping the water bowl area clear of dirt and hay and such. So we're thinking a hanging waterer may be our addition.

Side note: We dont have water lines run to our coop so automatic waterers are a no-go for the time being. Simple is good though!

Can anyone recommend one? Or who to buy from? Or did you make your own? Pictures are great!

Another side note: We're in eastern NC, and while we don't get horrible winters here, we do occasionally get a couple days of freezing temps here and there. Are those "heated" waterers a good investment? Can we use them "unheated" and plug them in on the rare occasion we need it? Or is that a waste? (are they safe?)

We have 5 hens and a rooster & hope to expand a little next spring.

You can use automatic (cup, nipple, etc.) without water lines. You use a food grade bucket raised or hung from a sturdy rafter. In fact, most automatic systems are designed for low pressure. Anything that collects water will require cleaning at least daily. Even hanging waterers will collect kicked up litter. Nipple waterers will eliminate that clean out requirement but will be the most likely to freeze. You could use a nipple system and keep your current waterer for cold days.

I use Little Giant double wall founts.

9833_hi.jpg

All of them in my tractors are hanging. The two in my henyard are sitting on top of two concrete blocks which works well to keep the dirt and debris out of them.

You could set them on top of the heated bases sold for waterers, but here in Florida I don't bother. Of course last winter they froze a lot! I dealt with it by pouring boiling water in the bottoms of each one every morning which thawed them enough the birds could get a drink until the sun rose enough to thaw them the rest of the way.

I made a small stand out of scrap wood to sit the coop water & food on top of - it still gets dirty, but less so. Water needs daily cleaning (both waters - in the coop & in the run).

If only dirt and leaves were the only thing clogging my waterers.

I saw a web site selling nipple-type waterers and conversion kits for buckets. Has anybody here tried it? Any trouble teaching the birdbrains to drink from it?

Last edited:
I use a 5 gallon bucket with chicken waterers, which I included a link
to because I HIGHLY recommend this system. My chickens can't spill it,
can't get shavings in it and it only requires filling once a week to
every two weeks. I just love it! So clean and efficient! To heat, we
just put an aquarium heater into the bucket and plug it in. I'll
include a photo of our waterer too... but the photos are from Spring
when the girls were still very young and the coop was not yet complete.
We always add Apple Cider Vinegar to our water as well. It's good for
the chickens and keeps algae from forming.

Neil (on the forum) sells the nipples for much cheaper than farmtek sells them, but you can get a good look at the options on that website.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_poultry_equipment-ft1_...
55040_276.jpg

55040_267.jpg

Chicken.Lytle :

If only dirt and leaves were the only thing clogging my waterers.

I saw a web site selling nipple-type waterers and conversion kits for buckets. Has anybody here tried it? Any trouble teaching the birdbrains to drink from it?

Didn't even see your post before I replied to this topic!
Yes! I LOVE this system. It is so easy. I used to use a similar one that wantless described and hated it. I had to lug the whole thing out to refill, and the girls always got poop, shavings and dust in it. There was also the problem of figuring out how I was going to heat it come winter.
The nipple/bucket waterer ROCKS!
love.gif
I can't recommend it enough. It's so easy to install and SO easy to fill. I can leave my girls home alone for a few days with no worry that they will run out of food or water.

The birdbrains learned very quickly too! The nipples are red to naturally attract them to it, and all I did was push in the nipples so a little water trickled out, when they saw it, they pecked at the nipples themselves and were immediately rewarded with fresh water. So it was very simple to show them how to use it.

Winter is easy too, just a simple aquarium heater and no worries. I do like to check their waterer and feeder every time I collect eggs though, just in case we have any malfunctions. No problems so far!!​

I'm sure others will have great ideas, but honastly theres no way you can keep dirt out of the water. unless, ofcoarse you don't allow your chickens near dirt. When they peck the ground, they're gonna get dirt on their beaks and when they drink, all the dirt on their beaks is going to get in the water bowl
smile.png
I have many different water bowls for my chickens and no matter how high of the ground it is, they still get dirt in it
barnie.gif

I cut a round piece of plywood and screwed three loops. Hooded up some chain, like what is used on a swingset. Hung it from a roost that goes across the top of the coop. Then I put a heated dog bowl in there. The chains keep the chickens out, and it is high enough they can't get scratchings in. It also doesn't freeze (Minneapolis Minnesota). I'll take and send a pic if you want.

Back
Top Bottom