1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

battle with my town to keep my chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kgatn, Jul 3, 2008.

1. kgatn

kgatn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    Please check out my blog detailing my fight to keep my backyard chickens in a small university town and pave the way for others to do so also.

www.savesewaneechickens.blogspot.com

Ideally, I would like to eventually take this topic national.

Please feel free to write the University Lease Committee regarding my cause. The more the merrier!

The blog has some pretty pictures. Enjoy!

-Katherine

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I am shaking my head because I simply CANNOT believe you are having problems keeping your chickens on a property owned by an educational institution that proclaims itself as wanting to be SERIOUS about SUSTAINABLE LIVING!!!!! WHAT is going on in the world. . . ????? ~:eek: ~[​IMG]

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Your chicken house, run, and garden are gorgeous! Your chickens are very pretty, too. How could anyone complain about the beauty and magic you have created?

i will write a note tomorrow to help with your efforts.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Alas, we are a small part of the world. Not many see things our way.

5. kgatn

kgatn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    Thank you!

With global warming and the current economy, the trend in backyard chickens seem to be steadily growing.

I would love to hear about any experiences with town ordinances, restrictions, neighbors... as I plug my way through the system in an effort to bring the chickens to town!

-Katherine

www.savesewaneechickens.blogspot.com/

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    d.k :

* I am shaking my head because I simply CANNOT believe you are having problems keeping your chickens on a property owned by an educational institution that proclaims itself as wanting to be SERIOUS about SUSTAINABLE LIVING!!!!! WHAT is going on in the world. . . ????? ~:eek: ~[​IMG]

It doesnt surprise me that academics are the worst. I credit them with a lot of things, in fact, not the least of which is elitism. They live in cloistered worlds, developing and fulfilling their own image of things as they should be.

Once they convince themselves of something, write papers on the matter and become the "experts," there is little going back for them and little room for the rest of us to get a word in edgewise.

It has ever been so with bottled up societies. Goverment thrives on it.​

7. eddie-k

eddie-k Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Warner, Oklahoma
    I live on a small junior college campus in Oklahoma. I hate that you are having such problems. Keep hanging in there! I haven't caught any flack, but I'm fortunate enough teach and coach at a school with a huge ag base. Most of the maintenance crew just kinda laugh that a coach would have chickens in his back yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by