battling cocci and needing advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by centrarchid, Jun 6, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Owing to PMS (poor management syndrome) my younger cohorts are suffering from Cocciodosis. Looking at records, all that could be done wrong was. I am going to be asking for advice on treating existing birds (chicks) and preventing outbreaks with upcoming cohorts.

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Coccidiosis

Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection in which parasites frequently found in soil or bird feces infect the intestines of domestic birds, growing quickly. It can be fatal but any chicken surviving an infection will be immune to future infections. The video here may be difficult to watch, but is educational.

Medicated feed – grower feeds medicated with Amprolium do not prevent infection. Chicks receive low doses of medication to better manage infection once chicks are exposed. This gives chicks a better chance of surviving their initial infection and earning their natural immunity. Feed medicated feed until two weeks after chicks are put outside where they may be exposed.

Corid – larger dose of Amprolium used to manage infection. It is easier on the chicken’s system than other treatments, but does not treat as many strains.

Sumlet 12.5% Solution – this is Sulfamethazine, which is harder on the chicken, but effectively treats a wider range of coccidiosis infections.

If you are unable to find either of these locally, here is a pdf list of medications that may be used to treat Coccidiosis.

Since you know these parasites exist on your property, always have Corid or Sumlet available any time you add chickens to your flock and feed juveniles (up to laying age) feed medicated with Amprolium.

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Thanks very much Anianna,

I purchased a medicated feed with Amprolium and fed it to infected broods. Condition after only 8 hours of treatment appears stabilized in 8 week old chicks (dominique x game) and improving in 6 day old chicks (pure dominque) but four 4-week-old American game chicks appappear have died from treatment and they died very quickly. Dominiques I am pretty sure are of stocks that routinely were treated with same antibiotic in their ancestry. Games I am almost certain are not.

One of 8-week-old pullets being fed electrolyte laced water by syringe. Dog sniffing her seems to stimulate appetite. I will be up most of night babying her.

All birds being given electrilytes with water.

Centrarchid

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    For an outbreak, you need to get the meds. The medicated feed is to get low doses into their system before exposure. Now that they are exposed and you have an outbreak, you need to get one of the meds to treat the outbreak.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I will not be able to acquire the stronger medication until noon tomorrow. I will try to maintain existing dosage with continous feeding overnight.

I will bring the larger birds inside and keep them in a brooder next to smaller birds. They seemed much better during hottest part of day.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Of my older chicks infected with coccidiosis only one further loss (pullet I had been hand feeding). A male in almost as poor condition was allowed to persist. Appetites are improving with medicated food only but I got the Corid (Amprolium), mixed it with electrolyte solution and provided it to birds with waterer. Younger chicks indoors seem as if nothing wrong although pasty butt had to be cleaned up on one. Feces returning to normal in respect to moisture, volume, and overall appearance. Several birds already putting weight back on but will likely see check marks in growing feathers.

In future, birds moved from brooder to chicken tractor will instead be moved to elevated coop. That way control of exposer to parasite will be more easy to regulate.

This very hot weather likley helped control losses.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    One chick not bouncing back after infection. In morning tail still wet and wings drooping as shown below. Exposed skin extremely pale. As day warms, tail and wings improve as does chicks mobility but three mornings in a row chick still looks like crap. Balance of affected brood putting weight back on. Check marks evident in feathers.

[​IMG]

8. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Can you put them back in the brooder with a temp of at least 75*, if not warmer in a corner. I'd also recommend force feeding them the water with Corid--you can do 1CC at a time, this way they are getting the treatment in addition to staying hydrated.

I almost lost a young chick to Cocci but I force fed her water and also a wet mash of yogurt, it gave her enough energy to stay alive and fight. In about 8 days she was back to normal and to be honest, there were several days I didnt think she'd survive the night.

Best of luck for your little ones.

9. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    We used Corrid. It worked great. Mine poor chicks who were vaccinated for cocci by the way developed it. One was pooping pure blood. I was told by numerous people BYC....Once it has gone that far, there wasnt much hope. They were to far gone. After 5-7 days of Corrid, I have 0 losses and everyone was fine. So highly recc it.

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

You should not mix anything else in the water with the Corid. No electrolytes in the water, only the Corid.
    Corid (amprolium) is a thiamine blocker. Thiamine is vitamin B1.
    Cocci is awful around my place. I use Corid for 5 days (5cc per gallon) routinely, beginning the day after the chicks are on the ground. Medicated feed just was not enough. I quit using the medicated feed and just use Game Bird Feed now.

You may find these publications of interest........

https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/coccidiosis.pdf

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by