Battling winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NatureLove11, Dec 19, 2010.

1. NatureLove11

NatureLove11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    ok so ive seen many posts of peoples waterers freezing over and i have the same problem. so i was thinking that maybe i could do what some of you have done, take a clay flower pot put a light bulb inside and put the waterer on top. my dad doesnt think this will work well because he says we will have to change the bulb to much and it will just be easier to buy an expensive heated chicken waterer what do you think?

2. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    hang a heat lamp over it

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Thats what I do.

4. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I bought a heated base to put my waterer on. It only comes on when it gets below 35 degrees so it isn't on 24/7. Playing around with a light bulb that close to the floor of the coop makes me nervous. I think it has been well worth the $40 I spent for it. Temps have been down in the teens here and no ice at all has formed in the waterer.

5. NatureLove11

Nov 4, 2010
    I actually have to keep the water outside of there temporary house because we are still building a coop and the water makes things kind of cramped and when it leaks it builds mold on the poop tray we have so i cant really hang a heat lamp above it so i guess ill just go with the heated base then. [​IMG]

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Depending on how cold it is where you are just bringing the waterer in at night may serve you just as well and you won't need to run cords, use electricity, worry about light bulbs, etc. Bringing it in at night, lets it thaw if it's frozen up during the day, you can then fill it with hot water in the morning and if it's not really cold it will stay liquid for most of the day. The birds will learn to drink early and will be just fine. And they don't miss it at night as they're sleeping anyway.

If it is rather cold where you're at so the waterer doesn't stay liquid most of the day you can do the same kind of thing with two waterers as well. Putting one out in the morning, the other in the afternoon. The birds will learn, just as with the other system, to drink morning and afternoon.

7. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    We got heated dog bowl. It is on sale this week at Rural King for $13.
    working great.

8. NatureLove11

Nov 4, 2010
    thanks everyone [​IMG]

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Ive got the heated dog bowl too, holds a gallon and cost $19, probably the cheapest option and ok to be outside.

10. CoupeDeVille

CoupeDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    New Hartford, Ct.
    same here, heated dog-water bowl ...works great !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by