1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

batumn hens sitting on 7 eggs what am i to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woolychicken, Jan 18, 2010.

1. woolychicken

woolychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    mesick michigan
    my little bantum is sitting on 7 eggs i live in northern michigan does any one have any adivce what to do.
    she has been on the eggs about 6 days now. we have seen her get up to eat and drink then run back to the nest, she has made a nest on the bottom of the chicken coop floor. there is lots of straw and we have put a heat lamp near enough to keep her warm my coop temp ranges 46-60 degrees depending on the weather. should i try moving the nest and hen into a large box or dog kennel. or should i leave things alone. when i noticed that she had been on the eggs about 2 days i move the nest from the far corner where she had begun this adventure to a warmer place near the front, not by the out side wall where she had it, she still was persistant so i have let her alone help !!

2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    My rule with broody hens is basically, let them be. I hope it's not drafty where she is? It still seems kind of warm so hopefully her body warmth will sufficiently heat the eggs. I can't speak of winter broody hens from experience since my hens tend to go broody when it's a little warmer.

3. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    If the other hens don't bother her, just let mother nature do their job. Mark the eggs and remove any new one. When the chicks hatch move her to a warmer place. [​IMG]

4. Tonya

Tonya Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Broken Bow, Oklahoma
    My little banty sat 7 eggs started the 21 of December and it got real cold here for Oklahoma for days it stayed below freezing we had to break the waterer every morning and guess what she did just fine we have 5 babies and one trying to hatch today. Good Luck

5. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Sorry to hijack the thread ... But what about if other chickens are bothering her and putting her off ..

We have a broody hen who was sat on an egg yesterday ..but because of the other hens and cocks she stopped sitting on it. Would it be wise to move her and the egg if she does it again?

6. woolychicken

Oct 3, 2009
    mesick michigan
    UP DATE ON BROODY HEN IS DOING WELL WE BOUGHT A MEDIUM SIZE DOG KENNEL AND PUT HRE IN IT WITH A 125 HEAT LAMP NEAR TO KEEP HER WARM AND THE WATER NOT TO FREEZE MY HUSBAND ALSO PUT HEAVY CARD BOARD AROUND THE SIDES NOT THE FRONT TO KEEP EXTRA DRAFTS AND WARMTH IN WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPEN IN 13 DAYSS THANK FOR ALL THE INPUT:cd
    THE WOOLYCHICKEN

7. woolychicken

Oct 3, 2009
    mesick michigan
    WE have chicks or chicks [​IMG] not sure do not want to disturb her. [​IMG]
    WOW what a hen it has been very cold o-8 degrees and she [​IMG] did it
    thank you LORD and everyones help!!!!

[​IMG]
    wooly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by