Bay Area (California) Wanting to buy a few chicks ASAP

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by my three chickens, Jan 13, 2008.

1. my three chickens

my three chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    My husband and I are starting our first chicken flock (hooray!), and because of timing we'd like to get chicks in the beginning of February. (We must go away in the end of June, and want them to be well established by then.) I've called several feed stores* and none will have them sooner than early March, and really end of April for the breeds we want most.

Anyone out there who will have chicks to sell? We want only 3-5, and preferably a larger breed that can hold its own against our cats. (Over the Internet we have fallen in love with Australorps and Buff Orpingtons.) We'd be willing to pay money and travel up to 90 minutes from the Marin side of the GGBridge for healthy chicks.

Thanks!

Lisa

*Rivertown, Western Farm Center, Toby's

2. GreenieMama

GreenieMama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Hi there!

I am also in the process of buying some chickens. I found the posting below on craigslist and he is selling me 8 Barred Rock hens for $10 each. My friend said that I'm paying too much, but they are close to 5 months old and I don't have the confidence to raise babies.

Anyway, I don't know how many he has and I have no way of checking his reputation, but I thought I would pass on the contact info in case you wanted it. He is in Lincoln, but he's meeting me in Roseville, outside Sacramento. That may be too far for you to travel, but here is the info anyway. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Danielle (GreenieMama)
    Hens Chickens Eggs - $10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: [email protected]
    Date: 2008-01-09, 10:09PM PST

Chickens, Young hens Barred Rocks, 4 ½ months old will start
    laying brown eggs at 6 months old.
    $13.00 each, 10 or more $10.00 each
    530-633-9526

3. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    We'd be willing to pay money and travel up to 90 minutes from the Marin side of the GGBridge for healthy chicks.

Down where I live (San Martin) between Morgan Hill and Gilroy there is a feed store that does have chicks right now. Not sure what breeds they have but you might want to call them and see. Not sure if Gilroy is to far of a drive for you. The name of the store is Farmers Feed and Supply. Here is there address and phone #
    (408) 842-8124, 10015 Monterey Rd, Gilroy, Ca.

You might also want to try in Half Moon Bay the Feed and Fuel. Not sure if they have any chicks now but it would be worth a try.

Good Luck​

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I have a two silkie chicks that are from show stock that were born on Thanksgiving that I would be willing to part with, also some bantam barred rocks pretty soon. Also, at pengrove feed they had quite a few chicks such as barred rocks and rhode island reds for sale. HOpe this helps and let me know if you would be interested in either of the breeds I have.

5. kiwichick

kiwichick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2008
    NorCal
    The feed store in Half Moon Bay has quite a few EE chicks just after Christmas. They had a sign up saying that they were taking delivery of more chicks mid-February.

6. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    There is an ad on craigslist of 3 hens for sale in Half Moon Bay. If you don't want chicks you might want to contact this person. Below is the ad.

3 hens for sale $5 each or $12 for all three (coastside)
    located in Half moon bay, I can deliver to. I dont know what knid they are but they look like common ones. Someone gave then to me for eggs and they sure do produce nice ones. 650-726-7662

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Meyer hatchery ships as few ats 3 chicks and they start at the begining of febuary and they are a BYC sponsor.

henry

8. mcforys

mcforys Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Would you (and any other SF bay are folks) be interested in splitting an order? I too need some new chicks and don't want to wait until March. I am interested in 2 buff orps, 1 or 2 barred rocks, and a cuckoo maran if possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by