Bay area, Fort bragg, Willits, Ukiah, Sacramento, Tracy, CA or Reno

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SunnyDawn, Oct 19, 2009.

1. pluckypecker

pluckypecker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Quote:Yea, i could get to Saratoga.. do you mean to say that they'll be ordered in the springtime? Do you have an approximate ordering time frame? And I'd be willing to take 2 black, 2 silver and 3 or 4 wheatens if no one else wants any.. [​IMG]

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Awesome! It looks like we will be able to send the order in soon then. This gives me enough to fulfill his minimums. Thanks!
    I'm trying to find out now if anyone requires the Mareks vaccine. My flock is very healthy and I've never medicated but I am at a very low risk because there are no other farms near me. Do you need them vaccinated at the hatchery (it's an extra $15)?

3. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Yea, i could get to Saratoga.. do you mean to say that they'll be ordered in the springtime? Do you have an approximate ordering time frame? And I'd be willing to take 2 black, 2 silver and 3 or 4 wheatens if no one else wants any.. [​IMG]

Perfect! No I will order them now for shipment in spring, he usually sells out well before he ships and I want them in early spring so I will order them as soon as I have all the details from everyone nailed down.
    So you are a definite for 2 black, 2 silver, but will take wheatans if we need you to or are you saying that you will take up to that amount if we don't have takers for them already?
    Thanks for the help.

4. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:OK. I will keep you in mind then. I have several Orps and they are perfect for our climate. They just need shade for summer and sometimes I throw some frozen water bottles out when the temps go way up. They have done very well. They take the cold extremely well and since it's even colder where you are they are a very good choice (they go broody easily, which can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for). Ameraucanas do pretty well in cold weather too though (small combs and soft, thick feathers, though not as thick as Orps). I haven't raised Dels. I will let you know when the final tally is in if we need help or not.
    Thank you for the consideration. It's nice to know there are neighbors of ours on BYC!
    Sunny

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:That would be great! They live in Hillsborough and we were not planning on heading up 280 on our run so this helps us out immensely. They have already answered that running down to Saratoga is not a problem for them at all. Oh I'm getting so excited! We have enough people now so I can submit the order soon! I just need to know if you need them vaccinated against Mareks? I am at a very low risk since no one anywhere around me has poultry and my flock has always been very healthy. I don't medicate at all but I don't know other people's situation. They recommend you vaccinate if you have other flocks of poultry close to you (especially if you're not familiar with the health of those flocks) or if you have people visiting your coop/run that may have contact with other poultry farms. The charge for vaccination is $15.
    Thanks for being so prompt in your communication. My job takes me out at different times so it's hard for me to get on-line more than twice a day.
    Talk to you soon, Sunny

6. pluckypecker

pluckypecker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Quote:I would like to be definite for 2 black, 2 silver, 2 wheatens (and any other wheatens above that if you don't have homes for them with a max of 4)

hopes that clarifies things... and springtime is wonderful! [​IMG]

btw.. i won't be needing marek's...!

7. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I would like to be definite for 2 black, 2 silver, 2 wheatens (and any other wheatens above that if you don't have homes for them with a max of 4)

hopes that clarifies things... and springtime is wonderful! [​IMG]

btw.. i won't be needing marek's...!

That is awesome!!! Looks like we will have 2 or 3 wheatens that are not spoken for so unless someone else wants wheatens I will put you down for 2 blacks, 2 silver, and 3 wheatens. It looks like we don't need to worry about the vaccination cost, although I haven't heard from everyone. I will order as soon as everyone else gives me a firm answer. I don't mind paying for the order myself but someone suggested I get a deposit from everyone to be sure they are serious (I would not be able to keep 40 more chickens in my back yard). Once the totals are firm I will send you the info. I am soooo excited!!! I've been wanting pure ameraucanas for two years now! [​IMG]

8. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Ok, I'm going to bed now. If anyone is interested we are up to 45 right now (25 black ameraucanas, 10 silver and 10 wheaten). These are the minumums and so far I do not have commitments for 6 of the blacks (I've already taken out 8 blacks & 2 wheatens for you Backyarder) and for 2 of the silvers.
    The blacks are the best layers and are praised for body size and shape as well. The egg color is also rated very high (getting a 4 out of 5 rating).
    The silvers are a smaller bird (still considered a large fowl) and lay rate is good (4 out of 5 rating) but they are best known for the beautiful blue of their eggs, the only large fowl ameraucana that Chick Hatchery offers that gets the highest egg color rating (a 5 of 5 rating!).

9. AmCanyonStables

AmCanyonStables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    American Canyon
    I replyed to your PM - as I said, put me down for 3 blacks, with a hope by the time the order is filled he will come across some blues or splashes instead - if not, blacks are OK. I might need the Mareks - I am surrounded by people who raise fighting cocks, there are thousands of them. I'm not sure if the chickens I have that I obtained in April from a feed store were vaccinated, but all are very healthy.
    Someone else told me when I was planning for my chickens that I should not worry about my neighbors - that the roosters are so valuable they are very carefull about health issues - although I have had no problems, I am not sure this is true, as I don't speak to them about it (don't get me started!)

Any opinions?

10. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Fighting cocks? In American Canyon? Boy that's not at all what i picture when I'm driving through that area. You might want to give your vet a call and see what they think. The feed stores do not vaccinate, the vaccine must be requested from the hatchery since it is given when they are 1 day old. We can have them vaccinated if you want, it will be $15. Just let me know what the vet says. If you're birds are over 5 months old they could still be carriers, even though they are no longer at risk and would have built up an immunity to it if they were exposed (or the neighbor's flock may be carriers), since chickens that survive mareks are still be carriers (there is one form that infects older birds but it is much more rare). That's one of the main reasons that flock owners don't mix mature birds with younger birds.
    The disease spreads through the air on dander and the wind can bring it onto your property easily from other farms. Though a few birds are immune to it (something about blood type?). Anyway ask the vet what they recommend and we will go with that. I will order them as soon as I hear from you. I will need a deposit since I have to pay for the entire order up front but will collect the balance when the chicks get here.
    Thanks, Sunny
    BTW what do you mix the blacks with to get a splash or blue variety?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by