BB Red with Swollen eye and throat. Getting bad quickly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheFoxyChicken, Sep 2, 2016.

1. TheFoxyChicken

TheFoxyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    Swollen Eye [​IMG]

Have searched many forums and photos on here and none seem to fit and yet all seem to fit the symptoms. Would love experience on this. I thought something was caught in his throat, like a bee. Nope....its his throat.
    I have on hand
    Tylan 50,
    Penicillin,
    Benedryl (did not drop the swelling)
    Maybe a hand full of other things.

I have been medicating the flock for an unknown resp illness lately with Terra-vet and Sulmet. They are all getting better, but this is out of the blue and seemingly un-related. However I give you all the info I have. 70 birds and this is the only one with this issue. BTW, this is BB Red we expect to do great things. Would love to keep him. What is the problem? How to treat it?

In the middle of this hurricane, so might lose power. immediate help is helpful [​IMG] Thanks you all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks a bit like canker in the corner of his mouth. Canker looks like bits of yellow cheese inside the beak. If you are not seeing any of that inside his beak, then the swollen face can be from a sinus infection related to MG or coryza respiratory infections. Canker may be treated with Fish Zole (Flagyl, metronidazole) given twice a day for 5 days. Here is a link to read about canker and one on common respiratory diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Oral Canker

[​IMG]
    Canker is a condition mostly associated with pigeons and is caused by a tiny parasite called trichomonas. This parasite is often spread through contaminated drinking water. The parasite causes a ‘yellow button’ of pus to form in your bird’s mouth. This can stop your bird from eating normally leading to weight loss.

[​IMG]
    What to look for

• Weight loss
    • Birds picking up food then dropping it
    • A cheese-like plaque in your birds mouth (see photo)
    • A reluctance to eat
    Treatment

Treating canker or suspected canker is a job for a vet who will likely prescribe an anti-parasitic medication.
    Prevention

Ensure that your birds' drinking water is changed daily. Try to keep the drinkers in the chicken house to discourage wild birds from sharing your birds’ water.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. TheFoxyChicken

Jun 5, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    Thank you!
    This is exactly what I see in his mouth. I just learned the Choanal slit also goes to the eye cavity. That explains the swelling in the eye. I am leaving to get copper sulfate in a minute as per your suggestion.
    Thank you. A little surprised about the way this is normally contracted. It is a new water system.

I have been having a time lately with illness. We are clean, so must have brought in chicks with issues.
    Another eye problem has been brewing. I do not think they are related to the one above. It is effecting a few in my free range flock and some in a pen.

[​IMG][​IMG]

We are a little bit worried that a few dozen chicks we purchased awhile back has brought something in.
    We also have some sneezing, coughing, with minor nasal discharge. It confusing because they all have different symptoms.

4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    the first bird you may have to lance the pocket by the eye to encourage drainage, but other than that i think eggcessive is right on, as usual
    not sure about the 2nd,

good luck on the flock [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. TheFoxyChicken

Jun 5, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    Thank you. Yes, Eggcessive seems to normally be able to place a finger on the problem.
    I am thinking the newest eye problem is from scratching itchy eyes. Not related to the 1st.

6. TheFoxyChicken

Jun 5, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    I see I got a couple posts mixed up. I need Fish Zole (Flagyl, metronidazole) . Thank you again

7. TheFoxyChicken

Jun 5, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    Thank you again. I finally got Metronidazole. It is API fish powder. Have no idea the amount to give. Add it to the water or pour powder down throat? Thank you!

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most of the souces I have read say to give 125 mg twice a day orally for 5 days to a regular size hen. I haven't used it, but I would give it in a small amount of yogurt or with some egg. The tablets are easier to just put in the back of the throat.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. TheFoxyChicken

Jun 5, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    (Details Not for the faint hearted)
    My little rooster is still making it. The canker in the mouth has stopped growing. I removed all of it in the mouth. But, I am guessing there is much more hard canker material left up in the sinus between the mouth and eye. I cannot see the start of it. Meaning I cannot tell if I can push it back through the hole in the top of the mouth or if I should push it up through and out of the eye. It is hard and the size of an acorn just in front of his eye (under the skin). I poked a hole under it to see if it was something I could press out. Poor little guy. I stopped once his discomfort peaked. My only thought now is to actually make an incision under the eye at least 1/4 inch and remove it. I am afraid this material will not lessen over time on its own. I do not embark on this lightly. I am not prepared to stitch and that close to the eye has me cautious. So I am asking before I continue. I like the little guy and his discomfort and bulging eye bothers me. I appreciate your efforts. Should I wait or roll up my sleeves?

10. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    try looking at this thread, it has some good info

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1112461/sinus-infection-photos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by