BB whites fighting

TScott926

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2021
I have two BB whites, I'm pretty sure they're both male at this point.
They've started fighting and both now have visible sores. Do I need to keep them apart? They're both about 11 weeks old and are mixed with chickens

I have two BB whites, I'm pretty sure they're both male at this point.
They've started fighting and both now have visible sores. Do I need to keep them apart? They're both about 11 weeks old and are mixed with chickens
They should be ok once they sort out there peaking order. Are they the only turkeys?

Yes, we plan on adding more next spring. I grabbed the last two they had at the store for the year 😅
There's 2 turkeys and 12 chickens.
If you plan on keeping them as pets you probably want to look at heritage varieties. BB are bread for meat production and can get to big very fast and can have many problems and short life spans. Heritage varieties live long hearty lives and can produce themselves if you planed on letting them. Not sure what your plans are for your turkeys that dictates what kind you would want?

If you plan on keeping them as pets you probably want to look at heritage varieties. BB are bread for meat production and can get to big very fast and can have many problems and short life spans. Heritage varieties live long hearty lives and can produce themselves if you planed on letting them. Not sure what your plans are for your turkeys that dictates what kind you would want?
Pets were the original plan but after reading up on them I learned this. They'll probably end up in the freezer and we will be going for a hertitage breed next year.

Attachments

• 20211026_150207.jpg
    20211026_150207.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 1
I'm having the same problem! These are about 8 weeks. I really thought I had a boy and a girl due to one being bigger and more dominant than the other. Now I'm not so sure. I went out the other morning and they were ripping each other's head and neck feathers out, slamming each other against the fence and wrestling. There was blood streaking their white feathers. I tried separating them several times, but they kept coming back. So I isolated one in a dog kennel inside the coop for about 4 hours where they could see each other but not touch. When I let him out, they pretended nothing had ever happened and went back to eating together. No problems since for 2 days. But I don't trust'm now. Teenagers!
Try a time out?

Back
Top Bottom