Songster
12 Years
Jan 21, 2008
Alberta
Hi,
Same like chickens only huge?
Huge nest boxes?
Boxes on the ground?
How far off the ground for roost or don't need one?
What size doorway do these big birds need?
Do they get broody? if so need privacy?
What size eggs do they lay?
Any advice very appreciated - thanks
Caroline

If you are asking about broad breasted bronzes (BBB) they are not able to mate naturally. The toms are too big. The hens don't naturally go broody. The instinct has been bred out of them. If you luck up and get one she will probably break the eggs from stepping on them and her weight and they most likely won't be fertile.

The toms can go 38 - 40 lbs. They don't fly well at that size. They lumber around like big tubs at that size.

If you are looking for a turkey that will reproduce naturally find a breeder and choose a heritage breed turkey. Bourbons Reds (easy to find) are good as are the unimproved bronzes (which are hard to find).

I am getting a few broad breasted to raise for Thanksgiving. We did bourbon reds last year and they were amazing!

Have you seen sgrays photos of his Thanksgiving turkey from this past Nov? Amazing table bird!

I am searching for the unimproved brozes for myself. I have been looking for several months and haven't found anyone close yet with eggs.

Are you planning on harvesting them for food, or keeping them for pets? This makes a big difference in how you manage their diets. They are just as active as the heritage breeds (will try flying) up until about three months. Thereafter they don't stray far from the ground or the feeders (pens/runs still need to be predator proofed - but flying over fences won't be a problem).

We had them, it was sad (very friendly and doomed by traditional genetic engineering). That said, our neighbor's BBB hen was bred by their Bourbon and one of the resulting hens was bred by their Black Spanish (real mutt turkeys). Another member had a hen that was kept on a restricted diet and she made it about four years IIRC. Good luck!

This link has pretty complete info on turks (focus on heritage breeds but the info is just as applicable to BBB's)

http://www.albc-usa.org/downloads.html

LOL yes I sure did see a couple of amazing pics! so huge..I don't plan on having them get that big though maybe 25lbs
I love the looks of the BR too! such handsome birds
I also liked hearing they are much nicer temperments than the white turkeys...been there done that!
and I guess they taste great...I needed a bigger bird than sold in stores for our get togethers so bb will be on our table this year
tongue.png

Why was it "sad" Ivan?
I plan on putting together a large hoop coop just for the BB that's why I asked these questions about roosts etc.
Miss P and I mentioned pics posted of the BB dressed did you see those? at least one of those birds was only 2 months old! I need to find out about the special feed they had.....but I don't want them that large by any means...just to meet their needs
I've also heard of people getting eggs from these large ladies.

They will lay eggs but it is not natural mating for fertile eggs. I believe some people use AI for that.

You can easily cross breed the hens with other male turkey breeds. But then you get mutt turkeys. Taste fine! Just not not pure bred eggs from those.

If you have trouble finding turkey grower crumble for the poults you can give them chick starter and game bird crumbles (higher protein). As they get a little bigger get them a turkey grower ration. It comes in pellets.

Back
Top Bottom