BBB Vs regular bronze?

flgardengirl

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Sunny side up :)
How do you know the difference between broad breasted bronze vs the regular bronze. I had 3 (no variety name tags on the bins) from the feed store but something got our tom so now I just have the two hens. They are about 8 mos now and they literally waddle when the walk they are so fat and one gets swollen feet and acts like she has to sit down sometimes. They don't act sick or have any respiratory symptoms they just seem too heavy. If they are the BBB do you have to butcher them like you do the cornish crosses or they will die? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the only turkeys we've had before were large plain white ones lol.

Last edited:
Oh no that's what I was afraid of lol. I got these hoping to raise some turkeys and if I had hen I was going to breed them and then maybe just process the extra toms that I get from the breedings etc. We always process our roosters (chickens) no problem. These two hens became very lovable and follow us everywhere like puppy dogs so I don't wanna eat them now.
Would it be okay to get a different variety of tom turkey to breed them with or is it cruel to let them live. They seem pretty happy and have over 3 acres to free range/waddle around on but they don't really get much further than maybe an acre a day but run around alot in that sized area with the chickens.
They get some treats once in awhile but other than that just regular layer feed and lots of bugs and green grass.

some people will tell you to limit their food (put em on a diet) but how can you do that and let them free range?? You can try to keep them. Just realize if they wattle around and cant fly to get away then they will be diner for something eventually.

I have 3 BBB hens
smile.png
mine waddle ehehe They are very wide but i do watch their food and corn intake. The rest they free range in the yard. Mine havent had any legs problems...YET lol

I gave a BBW to a friend for them to process for their family...in APRIL...and it's still going strong! That turkey HAD to have been like 30 pounds when I let them have her, and their daughter (and my friend) FELL IN LOVE with the turkey...she's on a diet I suppose, limited feed, and doing great. It's been decided until she shows signs of NEEDING to be turkey pot pie instead of pet turkey extraordinaire, she lives....and should one of their heritage toms get lucky...well...they may even try just for giggles to hatch a few of her eggs and see if they get lucky...

I would say if you keep them safe from predators in an appropriate enclosure, and monitor that they aren't in any distress due to their size, you should be fine. Their hen lived through 112 degree temps this summer and looked to be doing better than anything else at that time...so if you want to wait for spring and see what happens then and let them be pets, you could certainly try
smile.png
I would say be ready to cull if they show any leg issues from their weight...and be ready to cook a LOT of turkey if you do!

If you want to raise turkeys, I suggest you decide upon a breed and then purchase your initial breeding stock from a serious breeder instead of from the feed store. You really don't know what you'll get from the feed store, except that they will be hatchery quality, which isn't the best place to start a breeding program.

Back
Top Bottom