BBB's ready for the freezer

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by upstateNYandy, Oct 14, 2011.

1. upstateNYandy

upstateNYandy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I have processed birds that i have hunted but never any that i raised myself. We have two turkeys that are ready for the freezer and i want to know the most humane way to...um..."get them ready" for processing.
    thanks

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Our BBB were so big that I knew the scalding for the plucking part was going to be obnoxious, so we (2 people did this) rigged up a rope and pulley system, between two trees and set the garbage can with water at "station 2". "Station 1" we tied the feet/ legs together, gently lifted the bird upside down and cut the jugular. Our birds were very calm and they go still when you turn them upside down. Use a very, very sharp knife and someone should hold the bird while it bleeds out if you are anywhere close to one of the trees. Then it was an easy dunk into the scalding water and then a simple lengthening of the rope over to "Station 3" for the plucking part. Real easy by hand. Then we untied the feet and took the bird to the finishing table. There are lots of good info on here about exactly how and where to cut the jugular.
    Our birds dressed out 25 to 27 lbs. Anyway, that's what we did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by