bBood spot in white of egg, what is it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sandy sea, Nov 23, 2009.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Was not sure where to post this question. So I placed it here. I have had hens for over two years. roosters too. I still do not know what causes the small red blood spot which is in the white of some of my eggs. I alway check for it when I crack them open before using the eggs. I pick up the eggs from the nest boxes once a day. I know that my eggs are all fertile, but what is the red blood spot?

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is a good explaination for you that came off the aeb.org site

Small spots of blood (sometimes called "meat" spots) are occasionally found in an egg yolk. These do not indicate a fertile egg; they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg. Most eggs with blood spots are removed during the grading process but a few may escape detection. As an egg ages, water moves from the albumen into the yolk, diluting the blood spot. Thus, a visible blood spot actually indicates a fresh egg. Such eggs are suitable for consumption. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you wish.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Quote:The "grading process" referenced in ThePamperedPullet's post refers to the process commercially-produced eggs go through in USDA egg packing plants - that's why they're rarely seen in store-bought eggs. The blood spot is not a sign of an inferior egg or that there is anything wrong with your hens.

4. mvktr2

mvktr2 Out Of The Brooder

I have however read that it is a genetic trait, with the advice offered that you shouldn't incubate eggs from a hen who produces such eggs. I was also led to believe that a hen will usually repeat the 'meat spotting' in future eggs. Just my $.02 from what I've read.

Schlante,
    Phillip

5. CityClucks

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Quote:Uh-oh...[​IMG]

6. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    The blood spot that I sometime see is always in the white part of the egg, not the yolk. Would that the same?

7. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Quote:A good reason to candle any eggs you're going to give away XD

8. CityClucks

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Quote:Yep! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by